Windshield removal? '66 Valiant

-

SlotCarWon

Reaction score
I need to remove the windshield from my '66 Valiant parts car.
Does anyone know how to do this?
Do I need to save the rubber gasket? Is there a replacement?
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Being a old as they are if the gasket is still orginal they become hard, cracked and brittle. Sometimes getting them out can be a challenge. It will take 2 guys working at it slowly not to crack your window. Some, not sure of the year also may have a window rope within the gasket. (not sure of yours) The last time I took one out the gasket was toast anyways, so we had to peel back the outer lip gasket and slowly cut the lip away with a sharp knife all around the windshield. Never use a screwdriver to pri up on the gasket. Use the hard but flexable plastic knife tools. Once the gasket lip is cut away all around so you can see the edge of the glass have someone lightly push from the inside with even presure. With the sides and top half loose you should be able to lift out the window.

Year One states they have your gasket...also note they have window kits.

http://www.nextgenparts.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=A

Pull out the lockstrip first. Then run a razor knife around under the lip that seals to the face of the glass, push the blade in deep enough to see it in the lockstrip groove. If you can do this in the sun to help soften the rubber. The glass will probably have rubber goo holding it to the old seal. Push the glass out evenly. Make sure and wear gloves.

69signetv8 said:
Being a old as they are if the gasket is still orginal they become hard, cracked and brittle. Sometimes getting them out can be a challenge. It will take 2 guys working at it slowly not to crack your window. Some, not sure of the year also may have a window rope within the gasket. (not sure of yours) The last time I took one out the gasket was toast anyways, so we had to peel back the outer lip gasket and slowly cut the lip away with a sharp knife all around the windshield. Never use a screwdriver to pri up on the gasket. Use the hard but flexable plastic knife tools. Once the gasket lip is cut away all around so you can see the edge of the glass have someone lightly push from the inside with even presure. With the sides and top half loose you should be able to lift out the window.

Year One states they have your gasket...also note they have window kits.

http://www.nextgenparts.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=A

Jim you know we should have recorded and documented us removing my rear window.. i bet it could save a lot of questions for people for that generation vehicle..

But, SlotCar... just wear gloves.. by a thingy of dish soap.. a sharp utility knife, and cut away as much of the gasket as you can.. the important thing here is to save that piece of glass.. the rubber can be replaced with dollars.. the glass pretty much will cost you an arm and ALOT of sourcing time and even pressure.. sensitive these windows are ya!!

Good luck

I bought a brand new windshield for my 64 Barracuda and put in a better rear window with new gaskets and lockstrips. The key is the lock strip, once you pull that out, which comes out easy, the only thing I had to do was press from the inside of one of the corners and have some one pull on the gasket on the outside and then presto it came right out "walking it" around the glass. I didn't reuse it because there was some rust under it in the channel. Any my car has been garaged the last 30 years. I got new rubber from Laysons with a lockstrip, let me tell you though the Lockstrip is from a Chevy S-10, just about everyone that says they sell an "OEM" is full of it. They are all rounded, but they work. I got new glass from J&P Auto glass on Ebay of all places, brand new, nice to finally see without any foggyness.

Hope that helps,

Rick

With my 64 wagon I'm going to have to use a heat gun just to try and soften the gasket. Currently it's about a 1/4" short all around where it has shrunk and turned into fossilized rubber.

hopefully it's warm where you are.

Remove lockstrip

you will need to pull/ roll the gasket away from the glass(breaks the seal/dirt build up) -- on both sides(in & out side)

I used wood shims from home depot-- start at 1 corner & slowly push out the glass from the inside--(this is where the partner helps) he/she will be pulling back the outside edge of the gasket--

once glass has started to move out-- place shim/wedge to keep it from sliding back in place
move on up the glass & do the same-- the 1st side will be hard but once it is out the glass will start sliding easier. (think of replacing a bike tire)

I then do the top side & by the time i'm to the other side it usually will come right out

Take your time & you can save all pieces in case the replacements do not work!!!

-
Back