Windshield Removal

-

Jhenry70

Reaction score
Hi FABO,

I'm at a point in my rebuild where I'm going to need to pull the windshield (and pretty soon the rear glass) out. Need to remove the dash and start on the body work.

I take it when putting glass back in that new seals are a must and re-using one isn't in my best interest... With that being said, I'm reluctant to do the removal, scared maybe a better term. What's the easiest way to do the removal for the timid heart newbies?

Cut the seal on the outside away from the glass channel and then work the glass out with wire or string? Is there a locking bead in there that you can pull out first instead of cutting?

Anyone have close up pics of where to cut or pull the locking bead?

I've found a ton of threads about installing and what sealer to use, but nothing really helpful for someone just trying to yank one out successfully.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Jerry

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=14257&highlight=windshield+removal

check that thread out-- basically you need time & sunny day some non-metallic shims.

get all the trim off -- if so equipped
remove lockstrip __if so equipped
then scrape around the edges of the gasket to get it unstuck from the glass & the body of the car-- this means sliding under gasket edge both front& back between the glass --you are releasing years of build up.

this will take some time -- but you can save the gasket-- in case you need to re-use.
start at a top corner- slowly work your shims between the glass & gasket --at one point it will start to peel away-- then it will just slide out e-z
Lawrence

Thanks for the info Lawrence. Trim was pulled already by previous owner. On the lock strip... what do I look for as far as where to start removing it? Is it a solid strip all the way around?

I was thinking about this for myself in the future. I may build a cradle to hold the glass out of 2x4's, and maybe just pay a local glass company to remove it and come back when the car is painted and ready for install.

lock strip is a ribber spacer that expands the windshield gasket not all cars have this -- I do not know what type of car you are working on, most early "a" cars have a lockstrip .

lock strip is a ribber spacer that expands the windshield gasket not all cars have this -- I do not know what type of car you are working on, most early "a" cars have a lockstrip .

It's a 72 Duster... When looking up replacements there are items for the complete seal kit and separate listing just for the locking bead... seal kits are anywhere from $80-$120 and the locking bead by itself usually lists for under $20.

Here's a locking bead from Year One: https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/lb72

Are these installed on the outside face of the seal in a channel? Do I just look for where the two ends meet and peel back from there?

Yea outside and in a channel. Just find where the ends meet and pull it out. Then do what Lawrence said. The windshield will come out of the gasket just work slowly and start at a top corner and work across and down the sides. When installing install gasket on car and set the bottom of the windshield in the groove and work the glass in starting on the sides and up to the top and across from each side toward the center. It really easy to do just use plenty of soapy water and take your time. Also when removing have someone inside pushing on the window to help get it started out of the gasket

you might want to have this professionally done-- if you are not sure about the lockstrip-- this removal might cause you to break the windshield,, also you mentioned the prior owner took the trim off-- are the clips still in place? are the clip mounting points good, there are little details that will cause great grief if ignored ,Lawrence

you might want to have this professionally done-- if you are not sure about the lockstrip-- this removal might cause you to break the windshield,, also you mentioned the prior owner took the trim off-- are the clips still in place? are the clip mounting points good, there are little details that will cause great grief if ignored ,Lawrence

Yes, clips are all in place. I have all the trim set aside. This was also a 3/4 vinyl top car and the vinyl top had been peeled off as well. Channels and everything around the drip wells and windshield looks to be rust/rot free and with just the remnants of the glue from the vinyl on the pillars, roof and upper channel. When looking at it briefly yesterday it didn't look like there had been a re-install of the glass and there didn't seem to be a mess of sealant in or around the gasket... looks like a factory install.

I can replace the gasket if necessary (would love to save the cash and re-use) but breaking the windshield is something I want to avoid.

If the windshield has never been out before and it is worth reinstalling, I would suggest sacrificing the rubber. Use a box cutter and get the glass out intact.
Expect to find something like plumbers putty in the lower channel. Junk. That's why the leak.
If it is original rubber it will shrink up on you anyway while the glass is out. I've had old gaskets and reused them by keeping the stretched between post, then putting them in quickly.
My method of installation isn't for everyone. I go to Home Depot and get the black polyurethane roofing sealant in the tube. I glue the gaskets in. By doing this I've been able to take windshield back out and in without the gasket coming out or ever leaking.
To take glass out or put in, I use a bunch of rounded putty knives and shoe horn them.
I've even used a sander and smoothed the edge of the glass to help.
(Use respirator)
The biggest caution is not to twist the glass. It is pretty tough but won't take being twisted.

I pulled the lock strip out on mine and then used a sharp utility knife to cut the outer lip of the gasket off. When you are close to being done, make sure you keep a hand on the glass just to make sure it wouldn't slip out under its own weight. Mine is a 70 duster and it was original. I am replacing mine as well. Good luck. Take your time - it's not that bad!

Pull the lock ring out, add some dish liquid around the edge of the seal and push it out slowly.
Stand the glass on its bottom edge on a flat surface when storing or it will crack under its own weight.
Also I see your in CA, the gasket most likely is shot from the heat, replace it.

Here is a link to the book mark in my resto thread where I removed the windshield
(w/ Pictures).

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showpost.php?p=1970192285&postcount=24

Take a look, I don't have pictures of me cutting the seal but I still have the tool and it was not hard just took a lot of time and muscle... I would recommend warming the seal before using the cutter (Dish soap is a good idea too), trimming the outer lip away from the glass first to make it easier to work the blade under the glass.

The red suction tools helped pull the glass.

Did it with my 13 year old son.

Good luck with the project!
AlV

Attachments

• windshield tool.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 245
-
Back