Windshield replacement

-

44070dart

How the hell did I get this old..
Reaction score
I having a really screwed up time getting the windshield in my Charger replaced. I've been trying for months to find a place to replace it. My insurance guy had a couple of suggestions but they didn't work out. It's been going on so long he canceled my claim, because it was lingering around without closure, and said to reclaim it when I found someone and they would pay the claim. Everybody says they don't do glass on classics..Have you guys run into this problem.

I having a really screwed up time getting the windshield in my Charger replaced. I've been trying for months to find a place to replace it. My insurance guy had a couple of suggestions but they didn't work out. It's been going on so long he canceled my claim, because it was lingering around without closure, and said to reclaim it when I found someone and they would pay the claim. Everybody says they don't do glass on classics..Have you guys run into this problem.
it would help a bit if we knew where you were, somebody might have some local knowledge to impart or what not.

aside from that, if you're calling glass places they're gonna tell you to shove off. too much of a PITA/liability for them. find a body shop that does classics and ask for a reference from them.

I live near Buffalo, not exactly a small area.. Yeah, I've called all the glass places in the area, collision shops, and so called restoration shops..... no go. I've asked every shop I contacted if they can give me a place, and they're just places I've called already.

Last edited:
If you were near me(south suburbs of Chicago) I got a couple places. There's 1 place about 6 miles from here that everyone says to take old cars for glass work. All the other glass shops send older cars to this guy.

Its becoming a lost art to get these windshields replaced
It's more labor intensive and not a fast fix like newer cars.
I ran into the same problem and wound up having the 75 year old body shop owner do mine. Ive read many articles on the B forum about what to do and what to use. The guy who did mine did none of that
He coated the entire windshield frame with a black heavy paint type substance that looked like thinned out tar
He put the rubber in the frame and let it sit over night
The next day he with my buddy helping him installed the windshield while sweat ran down my neck as I thought he'd break it for sure, he didnt.
Part of the seal didnt fit exactly right and he said leave it another night, next day the seal was in properly and put the trim on. Wasnt a one two three job but there is no leaks and im happy

New precision windshield gasket, a tube of 3M 8509 bedding compound, can of windshield cleaner, some plastic trim tools and/or cheap plastic paint brush handles and do it yourself. BTW... I've seen more broken glass on cars done by "pro's" vs the actual car owner doing it themselves!
beerestoration2017 1414.JPG

beerestoration2017 1478.JPG

beerestoration2017 1546.JPG

beerestoration2017 1548.JPG

beerestoration2017 1560.JPG

beerestoration2017 1561.JPG

beerestoration2017 1610.JPG

it would help a bit if we knew where you were, somebody might have some local knowledge to impart or what not.
I agree. Some people think that they are being clever by putting some silly description in their profile where LOCATION is listed.

New precision windshield gasket, a tube of 3M 8509 bedding compound, can of windshield cleaner, some plastic trim tools and/or cheap plastic paint brush handles and do it yourself. BTW... I've seen more broken glass on cars done by "pro's" vs the actual car owner doing it themselves!
View attachment 1716075179

View attachment 1716075180

View attachment 1716075181

View attachment 1716075182

View attachment 1716075183

View attachment 1716075184

View attachment 1716075185
Do you put the bedding compound between both, the gasket-window frame and the windshield-gasket interfaces? Or just between the frame and gasket?

Frame and gasket per the FSM. Nothing between gasket and glass. Note the 4th picture. That is all that the factory sealed, across the bottom and 6" up each side.... I hesitated for a bit there and then decided to go all the way around.
beerestoration2017 1552.JPG

beerestoration2017 1553.JPG

beerestoration2017 1554.JPG

It really isn't hard to do yourself unless you are not strong enough to hold the glass in place. If you have some basic skills and follow the procedures as outlined in the service manual, you can do it. I'm no expert at it but I have installed 3. It does help to do it in warmer weather so the rubber gasket can flex a bit.
By the way....some people find my remarks to be entertaining.

1 app.jpeg

^^^ I'm in my 70's with a bad back, so you have no idea about me. Your comment about location had no use in this thread as I already gave it, so why would you comment at all. I've had words with you before in B-body and never found you entertaining at all.. I know you can be ignorant as proven with your little childish meme.

Well, I tried to help. You must be in a lot of pain to be so bitter and humorless. I hope that never happens to me because I smile and laugh several times a day.
Good luck with the car.

Yeah, I can get it for $189 and the gasket for $89, but getting it installed is the problem.
Well, it will be warming up soon, so maybe if you get out and about to local old car gatherings you can ask around to see if any other old car owners know anyone who might come to your place and do it. Best of luck to you.

:thumbsup:

Maybe try the any hotrod shops in town. Someone's gotta know someone around who could do it for you. Just don't be surprised if they charge more than what you're paying for the glass and seal.

Last edited:
I found one by the weirdest thing. I drove to my daughters for dinner and passed an old shop that did custom motorcycle work. They were emptying it out, today of all days, and over the bosses objections, I stopped to ask if they knew anywhere to get it done. The old guy said yeah, I did it for 27 years, I could use a few bucks. Need to clear it with insurance company tomorrow. My Easter miracle.

-
Back