Windshield wiper and gauge cluster refurbing

-

moparmandan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wiper pivots are a mess. Both are seized. Have them soaking. Cluster needs some help too. Considering going with a custom gauge setup. What other sending units will we need?
20180408_152923.jpg
20180408_152823.jpg
20180408_123528.jpg
20180408_114704.jpg
20180408_114605.jpg

A wiper pivot consists of a cast metal housing With bronze bushings pressed into each end. These bushings are only 1/2 inch long. Between them is a open cavity. If the shafts are rusted to seized to the bushings, imagine what is in there between the bushings. The aftermarket seal kits include a zerk/grease fitting so you would drill a small hole into the cavity to install those. How much cleaning can be done through that little hole? It might be best to start with better pivots.

A wiper pivot consists of a cast metal housing With bronze bushings pressed into each end. These bushings are only 1/2 inch long. Between them is a open cavity. If the shafts are rusted to seized to the bushings, imagine what is in there between the bushings. The aftermarket seal kits include a zerk/grease fitting so you would drill a small hole into the cavity to install those. How much cleaning can be done through that little hole? It might be best to start with better pivots.
Thanks.
Yep got the seal kit and linkage socket bushings. Gonna let the pivots soak and see how bad they are. Shafts are definitely froze to the bushings. Good news is the motor goes round and round!

P.S. remembered to mark the top so I can flip the pivots. If they are salvaged..........

Last edited:

Maybe even drill them for the grease fitting while they soak.

Soak them in evaporust. I drill mine and soaked with evaoprust. When they broke free I install the zerk fitting and pressed grease into them. After that I just sat there turning them...

Riddler

-
Back