windshield wiper motor

-

theothergarth

Reaction score
Ok, I got the new switch wired up correctly and the motor works fine(high/low and park when shut off)....until I actually connect to the wiper arms. When I turn the switch on, the blades will move to the up position and stop. I thought the connecting rods under the dash might be binding so I reached under and moved them a bit forward in their travel path and they go down and back up again to the top and stop again. They do not appear to be binding at all and the motor spins full circle without issue when not connected to wipers. What am I missing?

Actually, I have not fixed it yet....just haven't gotten back to it yet. The switch is a Ron Francis make. I believe it is the WS-61.

Thanks... I Just broke off a tab on the switch for my Scamp....

I was also wondering what you found wrong with the "park" part of you motor problem.

Keep us posted...
Thanks for the info...

I finally got around to looking at the motor/switch problems I was having. It was a combo of things that had me confused. I had thought it was in the new switch conversion because that was the new variable in the system. Turns out I had it wired correctly all along and the problem was in the motor itself. I pulled the wiper motor from the old Duster I had and tried it and it immediately sounded stronger. The one I was trying to use was weak and couldn't make it all the way around with the linkage hooked up. It worked fine with no linkage hooked up. To make matters more confusing, sometime it would raise the blades to the top of their travel, and sometime it wouldn't move them at all. Turns out it was overheating....probably because it was weak.

Short story long, I now have functioning wipers and will be able to drive in the rain.....if I ever get the rest of the car done:joker:

OLD THREAD BUMP!!!

I am using the same switch and wipers, and had a question about wiring it if you dont mind. My plan was to bring power in to the switch, then H straight to the motor for H, L through a ballast to motor for L, but I am unsure how to wire the Park function, as my switch has only 1 port, and the motor has 2... does 1 power go to park?

JOE

I have a similar problem with my wipers and though i know what i need to do I just haven't tackled it yet. When I bolted the arm to the the wiper motor years ago when i was building the car, I installed it 180 degrees off. My wipers park in the up position instead of down. With console a/c in the way I just haven't found the energy to tear it apart and flip the arm over.

Oh man....that was 9 months ago..since the last post anyway, it's been over a year since I wired it up. I don't remember where I left my keys the night before anymore :wack: I will look for my notes this weekend and see if I can figure it out again, then get back to you....unless someone beats me to it.

ok, if I am deciphering my notes correctly, I hooked the Red wire to H (Hi speed?); Pink to B (power); Brown to A (low speed ?); Blue to P1 (Hot?) and Green to P2 (maybe ground?). With out pulling the switch and following the wires again, I can't be sure about all this info about which wire does what, so take it with a grain of salt. Hope it helps, Good luck!

Thanks so much. That really helps, gonna get to it tomorrow I think!!! I really appreciate it.

JOE

-
Back