wing-vent repair

-

plymouth71

The Moomobile
Reaction score
How hard is it to replace the rubber seal around the front wing-vents on a 71 scamp?Are there any tricks to this,because it looks like it can be a headache?

I just did it on a 66 A body and it was a real challenge! I had to remove the side glass, no big deal there. I left all the window mechanism in the door. Then I removed the side vent window; that was tricky because there were alien key bolts under the weather stripping. All in all getting the vent window out wasn’t that bad especially the second time because I forgot a screw. Removing the seal and replacing was a long process and quit hard to get the seal back in. I must have struggled with the seal for a couple of hours. There’s probably some trick to do it but I just heated up the seal in warm water and put some WD40 all over the seal track. I used all kind of tools to push the seal in the grove. I ground down a common screw driver till it was quit rounded so as not to rip the seal. That was the main tool I used. If I can do it I’m sure you can. I can’t wait to go for a drive in the spring to hear how it sounds.

I just did it on a 66 A body and it was a real challenge! I had to remove the side glass, no big deal there. I left all the window mechanism in the door. Then I removed the side vent window; that was tricky because there were alien key bolts under the weather stripping. All in all getting the vent window out wasn’t that bad especially the second time because I forgot a screw. Removing the seal and replacing was a long process and quit hard to get the seal back in. I must have struggled with the seal for a couple of hours. There’s probably some trick to do it but I just heated up the seal in warm water and put some WD40 all over the seal track. I used all kind of tools to push the seal in the grove. I ground down a common screw driver till it was quit rounded so as not to rip the seal. That was the main tool I used. If I can do it I’m sure you can. I can’t wait to go for a drive in the spring to hear how it sounds.
I am going to try to replace mine as soon as the weather breaks,sounds like i need to stock up on pepsi,smokes,and a couple of cases.Thanks for the input.

-
Back