Winter storage and valve springs

-

gumper

Reaction score
What are the fellow racers doing for winter storage regarding their rocker arms and valve springs? I’ve gone back and forth from pulling the rockers to leave all the valves closed versus leaving it as is. The last two years I left things as they were, and cranked the motor over once a month. Before that I’d pull the rockers off. Mine is usually inactive from October through April.

Some do, some don't. It's all your preference. For a race engine with high spring pressures it may be best to relieve the springs.
Rotating may be good too. Me I start and run the cars once a month.Weather is usually good enough to drive 'um around too.
My brother-in law is a Super Comp racer. He backs his off after every race before going home.He's anal that way.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:
I've always wondered this too. I bar my engine 90 deg about every 2 weeks over the winter. My springs are a tad less load than yours - about 360# over the nose.

I just bump mine over once in a while is all. It’s sitting at around 70 degrees on a wooden floor all winter

For storing engines, I like the idea of backing the Rockers off and keeping the valves closed so the outside air does not rust the cylinder walls on the 2 open valve Cylinders.

Ounce of Prevention

Here is how I see it. Copied from an internet search.

The elastic deformation of a metal is a reversible occurrence where the metal can return to its original state. Metals that are deformed past the point where a return to their original state is impossible are referred to as being plastically deformed and not elastic. When stress or strain (tension or compression) is applied to a metal, a series of forces act on the metal forcing it to expand in an axial or radial formation - essentially elongating itself. If the applied stress or strain is within the force load allowances for the given metal based on its modulus of elasticity then the metal is said to be elastic and it will return to its original form when the forces are removed. If the applied stress or strain is greater that the modulus of elasticity determined range then the metal will be permanently deformed.

Just fog it for the rust factor.

I've never backed my rocker arms off. We used to race every weekend April-Oct and the car would typically stay in the box trailer outside during the year. Now I race maybe twice a month and the car is stored in the garage. When my wife took a year off to have our 1st child, I did bump her engine over maybe twice. We do only run mild cams though compared to some (under .600 lift).

-
Back