Winter storage moisture

-

stoke

Reaction score
What can I use to stop moisture from forming in and around my 65 cuda? It is stored in a Shelter logic round top shelter. Had a good share of it last season. Thanks for any info.

My solution: Drive it year round. I know few will do it, but good for the soul, if not for the car.

After the salt is laid, I won't drive in the snow, or when the pavement is wet. But I can't put my passion away for five months out of the year. So my car will "depreciate" 30% for doing this. Fair deal, because I'm using it 40% more. I'm ahead 10%

Just my .02. Make sure the shelter is ventilated.

I agree 100%. Even a well built garage will collect moisture if there is not enough ventilation.

Quite a few years ago, I bought a 68 T-Bird that only had around 28K miles on it. No rust anywhere including engine compartment. I didnt have a place to keep it inside, so I just left it out all year long. Didnt seem to bother it at all. It always looked the same.

Then, one year, I got the bright idea to put a tarp on it.

In the spring, when I pulled the tarp off, it looked like the car had aged 20 years. There was rust and corrosion everywhere, and moisture was actually dripping from the underside of the hood when I opened it. The interior was like a rain forest.

I found out (too late) that the tarp actually collects and holds moisture in that comes up from the ground. Then there is condensation that occurs when the air trapped underneath the tarp heats and cools each day with the day/night cycle.

I'll never tarp another car, regardless of what it is.

Make sure there is some type of ventilation at the top of the shelter, even if you have to cut some holes in the sidewalls yourself. You might be able to find some large metal grommets someplace that you can install. Also, if the car is sitting on bare ground, spread out a tarp on the ground so that most of the moisture coming up from the ground will either be stopped, or will not come up directly underneath the car. Do not wrap the car or bring the tarp up around it. The more airflow you have, the better (and drier) it will be.

instead of a tarp, would this work?

26450d1215381318-superweave-california-car-cover-available-song-shipping-imgp5522.jpg

Good info. I would agree that driving it if possible is a great way to get rid of moisture. If not, at least start it and let it run every week or so.

i would rather deal with moisture than mice! just a tip, put your sun visors in the down position as mice like to sit on them and munch on headliners.i lost 2 this way. as far as moisture, ventilation is the key.

Just my .02. Make sure the shelter is ventilated.

A friend of mine has a well insulated garage. We are in Canada where the ground can freeze 4 feet down or more in winter. In the spring when it is humid and he has the doors opened the cold floor 'sweats' to the point there are small puddles here and there.

The wet tarp guy points out what can happen. Damaging moisture can come up from below. I just bought a '64 Valiant that until 2 years ago had been stored inside, then moved outside. The worst place to store a car is on dirt or grass. My car has all sorts of rust starting where there was none, and it's all from dampness coming from below.. I'd be more inclined to store a car on a tarp, vs under a tarp!

There's a product called Peladow or Dowflake that will work excellently to remove any moisture from the air. It runs about $18-$19 per 50lb bag. If you pm me I can explain how to set it up. 75Sport

I will say that if the shelter is not on concrete and sealed well the moisture from the ground probably will not be controllable. As others have said power ventilation at the top of the shelter to remove any moisture is the best bet.

Never had a problem with moisture/rust ... Mine are stored in a garage , no car cover , vehicle windows slightly lowered ... ... VERY critical NOT to open large garage door when exiting/entering garage, instead use small door ( IF Possible ) ... Let the garage inside temp gradually change with outside ambient temp .

Besides the ventilation everyone else has mentioned put that tent on a plastic tarp to prevent moisture from coming up out of the ground.

The problem I have is on nice winter days the sun warms the garage up above freezing and then the nights go into single digets. I open the hood on the duster the next AM and the whole engine is covered in a thick layer of frost. These cycles of freeze and thaw rust any raw metal on the exhaust or anyplace on the car.

I own a "Car Jacket" (see link below), I bought mine back in the late 90s. One of the best investments to protect your car in storage ($199.00). Use one of these inside your shelter, with their desicant bags inside the car jacket, there will be zero rust! The car will look exactly like it did the day you sealed it in the jacket.

http://www.carbag.com/products/products.html

-
Back