Wiper arm removal

-

66Vali

Reaction score
Just wondering if someone could tell me how to remove the windshield wiper arms off a 66 valiant? I've looked in my manual and searched on here....Not much comes up that is useful.

Thanks

There is a special tool for this, but it is possible to removing without the tool. It helps if someone is able to show you.

The arm is held onto the post by spring action jamming. If you lift the arm off of the windshield and then push down the portion of the arm that isn't spring loaded while pulling on it up and away from the post, it should slip right off. It may stick, so it could be tricky.

I modified a pair of these to work. If yours has been on there 40 years it may be stuck.
Take the solid piece out of the jaw. May need some grinding or welding. Can't remember. But the principle is there.
http://omegatec.com/k-200CG-clecos-pliers.aspx?gclid=CLvTqNvexrgCFWIV7AodYV0AwQ
Lift the arm up to help take the spring tension off from pushing down on the pivot in a cocked fashion.
Then you can push straight up on the base. Put a pad between the lower jaw and your car.
Maybe they make a tool. But I don't know about it.
Later wiper arms had a little clip that retained the base to the shaft. You lifted the arm up like said above, push the clip to release.
I don't think yours has the clip but be sure and check.

-
Back