Wiper/Lights Switches Re-Located

-

DartGTDan

'71 Dart GT Fan
Reaction score
I am planning on installing either a RedLine insert or a modified cluster into a 1970 Duster dash frame into my 1971 Dart GT.

With the RedLine/Custom gauge panel (filled with Speedo, Tach, Water, Oil, Volts, & Fuel gauges) there will be no room for the Wiper/Lights switches to stay in their current respective locations. I know some people have mounted them down in dash frame below the stock locations, but I was thinking of putting them to the right of the RedLine/Custom gauge panel and to the left of the heater/radio in the dash frame (see attached photo).

Has anyone tried these locations? I know I'll have to extend the Lights wiring, and possibly the Wiper wires. Do you think there will be enough clearance on the backside. Does anyone have photos of the backside of a populated (cluster/radio/heater controls) dashboard?

Please let me know your thoughts, or share your experiences!

Thanks,

Dan

Re-Located Factory Switches-S.jpg

Aloha Dan!

Hey here is a picture of my 71 duster. As you can see I think you will have plenty of room for the light and wiper switches. I would put the wiper at top and the light switch down on the bottom. The wires for the lights are on the side but you could mount it with them facing down. The wipers will plug in with plenty of room. No need to extend the wiper wires. The blue, pink, green and red are the wiper wires on the harness. Looks like they'll reach your wiper switch in either place.

Good luck and post pictures when you are done.

I might do the same to my gauge cluster!

Aloha, Mike

Back of dash between heater and gauge.JPG

oh yeah I removed my heater...so I don't know if the cables will get in the way..but I don't think so....

if you are going to use the heater hose to the dash top vent...that might get in the way...but I think they are flexible enought to give you room to work!

Mike,

Thanks for the pic. Yes, Wiper switch on top & Lights switch below it is my plan.

-
Back