Wiper Marks on windshield, buff out?????

-

64dart170

Reaction score
Anyone know how to "buff out" wiper scratches rub marks on windshields?
Can we use the same stuff as the headlight lense rehab stuff?
Please advise & Thanks!8)

O.K. here is what I found my love:
Idea #1
Apply polishing compound or jewler's rogh (RED) to lambs wool buffing pad. Use circular motion.

Wash the mixture off from time to time to check on progress

Mix 2 oz. of ammonia with 2 qrts. water. Be sure to wear gloves.

Dry glass with towel.

Idea #2

Clean glass
Mix 2 tbs. glycerin, 2 tbs. water, 2 tbs. jeweler's rouge. Place on area and rub gently. Allow to dry 30 s. Use soapy water to clean off. May have to repeat.

Idea #3

Mix equal parts of jewelers rouge, green or blue antifreeze containing glycol, water. Mix until thick paste is formed.

Apply paste to scratch, dry 3 to 4 minutes

Buff with terry towel with circular motion 20 to 30 minutes

Rinse compound with soap and water

Repeat if needed.

Hope this helps! What do you think?

I never waste the money on those headlight kits......what I do is I get some 800 and 1200 grit wet sandable paper.
I wet sand and wetsand until it appears I have got any imperfections out.
Then I use 3M rubbing compound and squirt it on where I just wet sanded.
I then use a small buffing pad and wheel on a drill bit attachment and chuck it into my drill.
I then buff in circular motion with slight pressure until you feel slight resistance and the compund looks like its starting to get chauky in texture.
I then take water and wipe away and compound residue and check my progress,if more is needed then repeat the compund and buff steps.
Then when it looks like you have its close to done or done,I then squirt more compound on and I buff manually by hand in a fast circular motion,then wipe it away with a wet cloth.
I then use turtle wax paste on the hole thing and let it dry and wipe it away and it looks like brand new when done!

If you don't have any rubbing compound,you may be able to get away with taking some baking soda and mixing it with a bit of water until you get a paste which will act as a compound.

Hope this stuff is something that can help ya out

I never waste the money on those headlight kits......what I do is I get some 800 and 1200 grit wet sandable paper.
I then use a small buffing pad and wheel on a drill bit attachment and chuck it into my drill.
I then buff in circular motion with slight pressure until you feel slight resistance and the compund looks like its starting to get chauky in texture.
I then take water and wipe away and compound residue and check my progress,if more is needed then repeat the compund and buff steps.
Then when it looks like you have its close to done or done,I then squirt more compound on and I buff manually by hand in a fast circular motion,then wipe it away with a wet cloth.
I then use turtle wax paste on the hole thing and let it dry and wipe it away and it looks like brand new when done!

If you don't have any rubbing compound,you may be able to get away with taking some baking soda and mixing it with a bit of water until you get a paste which will act as a compound.

opps!

OK me now! Forgot ABB still logged on sorry!
I too have used 1000 & 2000 grit sandpaper, 3m hand glaze, then wax on headlights instead of kits. Have had really good results on Neons.
But DusterDude are you sayin I can do the same thing on a windshield? Please advise! Thanks!

dusterdude has it right, i detail cars as a living, like not cleanin, "detailing" and we don't waste time with the kits we do exactly what he said. Mind you never tried it on a windsheild. I had seen a peice on spike TV on trucks where they did exactly what you're doing on an old truck. Maybe go to spike TV's website and see if you can find that trucks episode that it was in. O if you don't watch it the show's name is trucks. hope that helps

OK me now! Forgot ABB still logged on sorry!
I too have used 1000 & 2000 grit sandpaper, 3m hand glaze, then wax on headlights instead of kits. Have had really good results on Neons.
But DusterDude are you sayin I can do the same thing on a windshield? Please advise! Thanks!

yes you can do the same thing on windshields.....given the condition of the windhield that is....huge pits and deep scratches you will have fun trying to get out....then again,no matter what route you decide to take.....you will have little to no luck getting deep scratchs out.

The other suggestions made were also good suggestions.....I just think my suggestion of things to use are little more readily available and with little money invested...even more less money invested if your the average car guy with most of the things I mentioned sitting in your garage anyhow lol.

but yes, I have done this on glass and with great result.

yes you can do the same thing on windshields.....given the condition of the windhield that is....huge pits and deep scratches you will have fun trying to get out....then again,no matter what route you decide to take.....you will have little to no luck getting deep scratchs out.

The other suggestions made were also good suggestions.....I just think my suggestion of things to use are little more readily available and with little money invested...even more less money invested if your the average car guy with most of the things I mentioned sitting in your garage anyhow lol.

but yes, I have done this on glass and with great result.

Thanks Man! Got it all and will try first!!!
My middle name is little money invested!!!

I do have red, white, & green jewlers rouges too! Shame I can't spell it though!!!!:toothy10:

Thanks Man! Got it all and will try first!!!
My middle name is little money invested!!!

I do have red, white, & green jewlers rouges too! Shame I can't spell it though!!!!:toothy10:

well...if worste comes to worste and one of the routes dont seem to be working as good as you would like....you have a back up plan lol!....good luck

-
Back