Wiper Motor Wiring Question?

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I have a 65 Cuda with a single speed wiper, the dash harness was pretty beat up so I got another one. The new harness seems to be for a variable speed wiper. My question is will it still work do I need to modify the connector? I have a variable speed switch what would it take to covert it to variable?

I may have a variable wiper motor I would be willing to sell if it turns out you need it. Not sure if I need it for my setup yet.

will just changing the motor work? I want to make sure that's all I need before I make a swap. If it's too complicated I'll just stick with the one speed motor, that is it the harness l have works

I can not answer that for sure but I see no reason the linkages would not work so the question comes to wiring and I think as long as you have the wiring and switch for a variable speed you should be good. Now I can tell you though the switch is crazy expensive. I am pretty sure my switch is burnt and I have been watching for a replacement.

As a side note where did you find your dash harness and may I ask how much?

Just remember that in Mopar wiring, including wiper circuits, black wires are usually BATTERY FEED;

Whereas in electronics work, black wires are usually grounds.

THEREFORE, don't make the mistake of connecting any black Mopar wires to ground!!

It's a factory hardness and l'm using the diagram to hook things up so hopefully there will no shorts or fires under my dash:D

I could still use an answer to my question about using the connectors for a 3spd motor to my single speed motor?

How many wires do you have going from your wiper motor switch to the wiper motor connector, and what color are they? (Look carefully for wires that have a stripe of a different color; e.g., dark blue wire with white trace.)

Still need the information, Valkman? I've got several Valiant schematics sitting in front of me at this very moment. Just tell me how many and what color the wires are so I'll know which schematics to refer to.

I have a 65 Cuda with a single speed wiper, the dash harness was pretty beat up so I got another one. The new harness seems to be for a variable speed wiper. My question is will it still work do I need to modify the connector? I have a variable speed switch what would it take to covert it to variable?

THIS is why lots of folks keep harping on needing the Factory Service Manual if you're gonna do any serious work on these cars! (Well. pretty much any car for that matter) A while back, I went round and round with the folks who make the harnesses for Year 1 'cause the harness I got from them didn't have the wire runs and connectors I need for my 64ragtop GT 'Vert.

A direct answer to the question that you asked is that you need the variable speed wiper motor to go with your variable speed wiper switch and there are four wires from the switch to the motor. However, my '64 Dodge FSM shows differences in the wiper linkage to allow the wipers to park. I expect your barracuda linkages are very similar. Hopefully these pics will help. Good luck!

BC

Attachments

• W Wiper Parking (Medium).jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 897
  • Vrbl Speed Wiper Exploded View.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 5,354
  • Vrbl Speed Link Assembly.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 878
Actually, 64ragtop, Valkman was asking a question that I doubt is covered by the FSM: is it possible to use a single-speed wiper motor in a car that was originally wired for variable speed wipers, probably by connecting only the switched battery feed and ground wires to the motor and taping the other wires off?

I've always wondered how wiper park circuits work, and I found a really good explanation here:

[ame]http://triumph.daveola.com/NOTES/Windshield%20Wiper%20Motors.pdf[/ame]

Still need the information, Valkman? I've got several Valiant schematics sitting in front of me at this very moment. Just tell me how many and what color the wires are so I'll know which schematics to refer to.

Sorry MOPARoldtimer! I wanted to take pictures 1st and I haven't had the time till today.

Here are some pictures of what I have the 1st 2 are off the old harness connector (single speed) there are 3 wires red black & black/white (note that the slot all the way to the left is not being used) the loose connector is white. The 3rd picture is the "new" harness connector (var. of 3spd?)and there are 3 wires red white black & black/white. I believe this harness came out of '66?

Attachments

• 1 speed connector.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 728
  • 1 speed connector 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 714
  • Var. speed connector.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 932
Here are pictures of the switches I have, the 1st is the 1 spd, and 2nd one is a var. spd.

One other question: What I need to change to a 2 speed? Both the switch and the motor?

Attachments

• var speed switch.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 970
  • 1 speed switch.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 786
I think both of your harnesses are for single-speed motors. I think variable-speed motors require 4 wires: one for main power, one for low speed, one for high speed and one for the park circuit. The ground is provided by the attachment of the motor case to the chassis.

If you wanted to get rid of the connectors, just cut off the old ones, install new female spade plugs and connect them to the switch and motor the way you want.

The black wire on the '65 harness is going to be your battery feed to the switch. It should go through a little circuit breaker mounted to the battery terminal on the switch. In the case of your '66 motor, either the black/white or the white/black wire will be the battery feed to the switch. Does one or the other of those wires go through a little circuit breaker attached to a terminal of the switch? That's the one. Otherwise, see which wire is battery feed with a test light or voltmeter.

Red is going to be the main voltage output from the switch to the motor.

The remaining wire is to power the park circuit.

The built-in circuit breaker should protect you in case you hook up the wires the wrong way, so be sure to include it in the circuit.

I welcome correction if I am wrong about any of the foregoing. Thanks!

I guess I didn't understand the question. Valkman's pictures and MOPARoldtimer's comments seem to be very different from my experience and the schematics for my '64 Dart GT. I really thought the Barracuda and Dart schematics would be almost identical. That doesn't seem to be the case, the pictures and schematic attached show what I have worked on. At least I did state that all I have to work with is the '64 Dodge FSM. Hope I have not confused the issue. If I can be of any further help, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

BC

Attachments

• 018_resize.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 634
  • Instrument Cluster Wiring (Medium).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 2,065
I believe there are other connectors in the harness that plug to into the var. speed switch as well and there are 2 (2 prog) connectors for a var. or 3 spd wiper. The "new" harness switch connnector (pictued) has a white wire going to the slot that's not used on the "old" harness some so something is different here.

Here's a diagram from a '66 mannual:

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 755
Well, that certainly IS different alright. Unfortunately I cannot read the lettering on the drawing, it's too small for these tired old eyes. Is there a way to enlarge it? I loaded it into my photo editor and enlarged it, but the lettering got too blurry before it got large enough (DAMN!!) That looks to be a scan of two pages from an open paper manual. Can you scan each page separately and resend?

That's another reason I like the manuals on CD! You can enlarge and edit and save with the right software. Here's an original and the edit I made to make the relevant portion less confusing. It was quite time consuming, but better familiarity with the program made it much faster as I went. I used Corel PaintShop 4.

Attachments

• Instrument Cluster Wiring (Medium).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 668
  • Instrument Cluster connector (EDIT).jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 595
What a great thread - you blokes are such a great help.
You won't find help like this on some other sites.
Take a bow!!!

What a great thread - you blokes are such a great help.
You won't find help like this on some other sites.
Take a bow!!!

Yes itt is! Thanks for eveyone's help:finga:

I was hoping someone who has delt with this before and l could get a quick answer. I'll have to look over this when I have more time and post it in case anyone else might need to know.

OK I had time to take a good look at it today and what I found out is the wiring in 65 is pretty different from a 66. Even the hardness under the hood is very different, in that the 65 has 2 bulk head connectors were the 66 has 3. I have a 66 harness (under dash) and a 66 manual and what I need is a 65 wiring diagram, or for that matter a complete 65 manual! Any one they can send me? The 65 single speed Wiper motor has a single 2 wire connector (see picture) were as the diagram I have shows two 2 wire connectors apparently for both single and var. speed motors.

Attachments

• 65 1spd wiper motor.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 560
I don't have a '65 Factory Service Manual, but these MAY help.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads /1965/65ValiantBarracudaA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1965/65ValiantBarracudaB.jpg

They're for '65 Valiant and Barracuda, and only show the variable speed wiper system, though.

And here's an edited part of the '64 Dodge Factory Service Manual, showing the single and variable speed switches and the wiper motor.
The drawings may be different, but I really doubt that MOPAR changed the hardware very much between my '64 Dart & your '65 Barracuda.

BC

Attachments

• Windshield Wiper.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,687
Thanks 64ragtop! This is very helpful. It turns that my harness is not a from a '66 after all, only has 2 bulk head conectors but it's different from my old harness. I can't what remember what year it was supposed to be but it was suppose to for a Barracuda, who knows what been done to a 48 year old car. It wouldn't be fun but l'll figure this out!

That link just goes to a page on window glass. Not much help on wiring.

Here's a link to a page where you can download the real manual!

[ame]https://www.dropbox.com/s/upks33txhbe9tjw/1965%20Plymouth%20Service%20Manual.pdf[/ame]

The drawings are different than my Dart ones, but the info is very similar.

Merry Christmas, Valkman!

BC

-
Back