Wiper pivot seal kit warning!!!

-

JR

Pissed off senior member.
Reaction score
I did the seals in the Dart today and when I drilled the holes for the zerk fitting I did what the instrustions said and drilled a 3/16 hole. DON'T DRILL A 3/16 HOLE!!!!!!!!! It is too big and the zerk will fall right out. Drill the hole 11/64 then use a 12NC24 tap (I had to grind the point off the end of the tap so it would go in enough) after that you can pound the fitting in (they are press fit) and it will be nice and snug.
I had to tap the first hole I did (the 3/16 hole) and fill it with a screw that I shortened. The kit I used was from Schumacher Creative Services for the 67-76 A-Bodies but it is the same one that everyone else sells. The last kit I installed in a 73 scamp I never installed the zerks so I didn't have to deal with it.

That is very strange, J.R. I have installed two of the Schumacher kits, and didn't have a problem with either one. I wonder if they may have changed vendors who supply their grease fittings and they are made a bit smaller. I dunno, just a thought. Might be worth a call to their tech support.

Jerry

I don't know but I tried 2 3/16 bits thinking that maybe one was weird and I still had the 2 fittings in my tool box from the Laysons kit a few years ago from the Scamp and they were just as loose. I put the socket over the fittings and tapped them in with a hammer on my vise and I could pull the fittings out with my fingers. They werent even tight enough to put the grease gun on.

-
Back