Wipers... and oh I think this is gonna suck.....

-

sconut1

Reaction score
Hi All....

I'm on a roll with all these posts tonight.....

So... my wipers don't work. Motor works good, but the linkage has come off the motor. When I bought my car, and had a quick check out done on it, the mechanic told me the plastic bushings that hold the arms together were worn out. He changed one nearest the steering column, but said the other was gonna be pretty tough to get to. I was trying to keep initial labor costs down, so we left it at that. I think I got three wipes out of both wipers before the passenger wiper fell off the bushing again.

I was screwing around with things the other night, and heard a clunk, and my wipers don't work at all anymore. Thinking back 20 years to Valinat #1, there's a plastic pushing that holds a arm to the wiper motor. I assume this has fallen off.

The difference between Valiant #1, and my current 1974 Valiant Brougham is that the new car has a lot more stuff under the dash, including AC.

How the heck do you get to the wiper motor on a loaded to the nuts 1974 Valiant?

I just did this. I was doing "other" work under the dash, so it was very easy for me to get to it. I'm reworking the heater/AC box (my AC wasn't complete, and now is non-existent). I would suggest doing the wiper pivot seals while your in there. Remove the instrument cluster to do the left side. you'll have to see how "little" you need to remove to get this done. I have my radio out, heater controls out, heater box out and instrument cluster out. Piece of cake at my point, and my wipers are fully assembled. Again, you'll have to see the least amount needed to be removed to accomplish what you need.

There bwere 2 styles of wiper linkages. One used the plastic bushings, the other used metal clips 2 hold the linkages.

Find a set with the metal clips and try them...

I know it'll be a ***** dealing with ac stuff in the way. It was for the 67 cuda.
I have a complete set with linkages bushings and crank arm if interested I removed from 68 cuda.
Do yourself a favor and remove front seat(s) so can be "comfy" and lay on your back.

-
Back