Wires Caught Fire

-

74soitenlee

Reaction score
I am in a bit of a situation. My starter is was going out and I was trying to replace it. Because of the headers, it would not come all the way out, so I put it back on. The next day, I needed a new battery so I went and got one which was a 24 instead of a 24F like what was on it. So I had to stretch the cable out a litle to get it on the terminals. I then tried to remove the left header from the block but put the bolts back in because the hole closest to the firewall started leaking antifreze(different problem). I then hooked the cables up to the battery and tried to start it. I forgot to put the left side plug wires back on the plugs but I guess it did no matter. The starter turned the engine a couple times then I got out and smelled something burning. I looked and the wire that comes off the solinoid to the firewall was on fire. It was getting worse until I disconnected the negative cable to the battery and it stopped. I decided to scrap it for the day. Can anyone help tell me what might have been causing the fire? My dad said that i \t is probably kick back from the starter because it is not properly grounded. I don't know because the starter turned a couple of times.

I attached this picture. This is what it looks like now.

PIC-0115.jpg

You pulled the left header back? Look close and see if it is hitting the connection on the starter. Maybe it moved/vibrated onto the starter lug after starting the car. 2¢

I'd consider a new harness, that looks xtra burnt. There's no way of seeing what's left inside the Harness, unless ya untape it all n follow wire.

I didn't move the header, but I did pull the starter out and disconnected the wires on it and then put them back on. I will look in the morning to see if i put them back on wrong. I was thinking about buying a new harness.

-
Back