WIW All Original 74 Duster 360 4 Speed Car?

-

TimS

Reaction score
View attachment 1715001535

View attachment 1715001536

I've been pondering the purchase of this well documented 74 360 Duster for quite some time. It's all #'s matching with working factory AC and 3.55 SG 8 1/4 rear. Just over 100K miles on the motor and transmission that have never been rebuilt. Price range has been $20K. Any thoughts on the value of this car? I've made a couple of offers that have not been accepted. I'm not a flipper and just want this for my collection. Just looking for opinions on a price range from fellow FABO members. Thanks.

74 360 Duster.jpg

74 360 Duster Interior.jpg

Last edited:
It is nice for sure but 20K nice with a 100k on it? Doubt 20. Me I would not go over 16.

It is nice for sure but 20K nice with a 100k on it? Doubt 20. Me I would not go over 16.

That's been my concern as well. Motor will need gone thru if I drive it much at all, and I will. I love to drive my cars to the Mopar Nationals and Norwalk every year and this would be no different.

I had looked the car over in person about 5 or 6 years ago when the previous owner also had it for sale. It is very nice, no doubt. At that time the guy wanted mid 20's for it. I've darn near pulled the trigger on this a couple of times when the present owner put it up.

We are on a similiar page. I had offerred $16.5.

There is a ton of variable, suspension prob needs all new bushings at the least, motor condition, clutch, brake cylenders etcet anything rubber needs to be either gone over or changed probably. etc......

It does have a new clutch assembly. The rest of the stuff you mentioned, I would have to check on. Not sure if it has been done or not.

The question is "What's it worth to you"?
That's always the better question.
Can you take a monetary loss for what you want in life?
In addition to the variables listed in the previous post, what are you going to do with the car?
You said "collection".
Your a collector of cars then?
To my mind, someone who is collecting cars will never actually drive the car in a way to devalue it.
What I'm trying to say is it would be a different question if you were considering the car as actual transportation.

New Cars Under $20,000 Today
  • 2016 Chevrolet Cruze $17,000. ...
  • 2016 Nissan Sentra $17,600. ...
  • 2016 Dodge Dart $18,000. ...
  • 2016 Ford Focus $18,100. ...
  • 2016 Mitsubishi Lancer $18,450. ...
  • 2016 Mazda 3 $18,700. ...
  • 2017 Subaru Impreza $19,100. ...
  • 2016 Honda Civic $19,500.
More items...

Ya gotta LOVE 73 n up to pay above $15 K in my opinion.
What kind of prod numbers on it?
That being said my 1st car was 74 Duster buckets console and the leaning tower of.power. Got me hooked on Mopars.
Love the.color!

It does have a new clutch assembly. The rest of the stuff you mentioned, I would have to check on. Not sure if it has been done or not.
Good example I bought another 87 Monte Aerocoupe for the wife (her second one the first is gone that she bought new) 87k on it all the paper work, needed all new brake rubber, full exhaust and all hoses under the hood. Just a example of what can happen.
Then she totaled it!:BangHead:

adriver, I see your point. I have a 440+6 Roadrunner and a 71 Cuda that I don't really drive much. My 72 Barracuda and 69 Formula S 383 4 speed car I do drive quite often, even to work. I see this Duster like the 72 and 69.

Nice car..... I like all the body lines of all model Dusters but the truth is it is not a 70 or 71. A 72 gets you in the ballpark of higher numbers but still ain't there...

Your money and do what you want but I have no desire persoanally to spend that kind of money on a car like this. Plan on another 10k to get it nice if the car has been sitting (even it a garage....)

Lastly, make sure you are buying this for fun and not as an investment. You will lose when everything shakes out. The owner is waiting to see if someone will show up with inheritance money and pay his price.... And remember the 340 is the allure of the duster.... No other motor matters when paying these type of prices.

Good luck,
JW

I think the color looks great !!
Especially with the interior !!
4 speed 360 I would say is pretty rare in 74 .
I don't think it's a 20,000 car to me ?
I'd say 10-15 depending on how bad you want it and how bad seller wants to sell ?

I think the color looks great !!
Especially with the interior !!
4 speed 360 I would say is pretty rare in 74 .
I don't think it's a 20,000 car to me ?
I'd say 10-15 depending on how bad you want it and how bad seller wants to sell ?

I had a 74 360 car in the late 80's. All original except for the paint when this picture was taken. Automatic/console car. I did convert it to a 4 speed and would have to agree it took the car to a whole new level of fun lol....

JW

74 duster.jpg

I had a 74 360 car in the late 80's. All original except for the paint when this picture was taken. Automatic/console car. I did convert it to a 4 speed and would have to agree it took the car to a whole new level of fun lol....

JW

View attachment 1715001557
That car looks sweet !!
I think the hood and dual mirrors make it !!!
I had a 73 and a 74 there is a pic of my 73 on my profile we put a 400 in it !!
It was a tire smoldering machine !!
It was an auto and originally a slant 6 same with my 74 .

I had owned one of these a few years ago and sold the car to a buddy of mine here in town after a couple of years of good fun. Same animal really a #'s 74 Duster 360 4 speed car. Rust free like this one but the paint on it not as nice. That a Maroon with black bucket car. I bought and sold for quite a bit less than this brown car.

Im a true Duster guy at heart and the (realistic) prices have dropped substantially, yet everybody still wants a arm/leg for them. Theres a clear reason why nobody wants to pay 20k for it so why should you?? Sounds like you have a decent corral of cars so show him the money of what you 'feel' its worth to add to your stable and if no deals are made, then return to the bank and make a deposit.....that always feels good too.
Lets just 'say' you paid the 20k....
Rebuilt motor 'correctly'....$4k
Usually leads to other things and cleanup/replacement.....$2k
Time and hassle unless your paying someone else to do it.....either way 1 season minimum and possibly $???.....
All for a car that once is finished, you MIGHT get your $20k back.....but i still doubt it. Your call....depends on your Love for the car and how deep your pockets are.....just my 2cents!

I did look back thru my conversations with the previous owners of this car and the front suspension rubber and such has been replaced. The 4 speed has also been gone thru. Also has new exhaust front to back form Accurate. BTW, this also is an original stock steelie car with hubcaps, not the rallyes it has now.

You'd have more than 20k in one if you did a resto on a less clean car. I have over 20k in my resto. I'd ask what his bottom dollar is. It is a buyers market. If that car is original it's pretty rare. They didn't make many 360 4speed dusters

Ya gotta LOVE 73 n up to pay above $15 K in my opinion.
What kind of prod numbers on it?
That being said my 1st car was 74 Duster buckets console and the leaning tower of.power. Got me hooked on Mopars.
Love the.color!

The numbers I've seen are 1 of 582 Duster 360 4 speeds. I hear the Galen book says 1 of 71 with that combo and AC, for what that's worth.

I couldn't agree with both of these comments below more. I also think a 74 360 4 spd car is super cool. Nice color combo. The 360 is a strong engine too and would likely outperform a 340 with little mods done, i.e. Camshaft and small thing. I had a buddy who had a 74 360 auto car and it hauled azz. Way faster than my 72 340 duster.

There was also another comment saying it just depends on how much you value it personally, what enjoy,net would you get etc.... So true.

Lastly' to me anyway, it seems that a lot of members here are pretty super harsh on evaluations. Most of them were trying to tell me that my 69 swinger real 340 4 spd car was worth only 15k (16 tops) cause it was green.... (Originally red). I sold it $21k usd.

There. Is a buyer for everything, usually some one who wants the item thinks it's worth the least, the guy selling it thinks it's worth the most. Try to find some middle ground and that's where a fair realistic value would be.

Im a true Duster guy at heart and the (realistic) prices have dropped substantially, yet everybody still wants a arm/leg for them. Theres a clear reason why nobody wants to pay 20k for it so why should you?? Sounds like you have a decent corral of cars so show him the money of what you 'feel' its worth to add to your stable and if no deals are made, then return to the bank and make a deposit.....that always feels good too.
Lets just 'say' you paid the 20k....
Rebuilt motor 'correctly'....$4k
Usually leads to other things and cleanup/replacement.....$2k
Time and hassle unless your paying someone else to do it.....either way 1 season minimum and possibly $???.....
All for a car that once is finished, you MIGHT get your $20k back.....but i still doubt it. Your call....depends on your Love for the car and how deep your pockets are.....just my 2cents!

You'd have more than 20k in one if you did a resto on a less clean car. I have over 20k in my resto. I'd ask what his bottom dollar is. It is a buyers market. If that car is original it's pretty rare. They didn't make many 360 4speed dusters

Last edited:
[QUOTE="TimS. The numbers I've seen are 1 of 582 Duster 360 4 speeds. I hear the Galen book says 1 of 71 with that combo and AC, for what that's worth.[/QUOTE]

exactly! More rare than any 70 duster 340 made.

One last thing is that the 73 up big motor cars all have better brakes and big bolt pattern too which. Is nice.

Not sure why you think the engine needs to be gone through just because it has 100k miles.

My opinion on value: 10k is low, 20k is on the high side. I put it at 15k +/- $1000.

If I bought it, I would drive and enjoy it as is, and make repairs as issues pop up.

I think it's the perfect color.

Not sure why you think the engine needs to be gone through just because it has 100k miles.

My opinion on value: 10k is low, 20k is on the high side. I put it at 15k +/- $1000.

If I bought it, I would drive and enjoy it as is, and make repairs as issues pop up.

I think it's the perfect color.

Totally agree. The car has had allot of new stuff put on it already. Wear type items plus it has power steering, power front disc's and the big bolt pattern instead of small as mentioned earlier also. All positives. Thinking of nudging my offer up a bit. I do love that color and the 360 Police motor is every bit as quick as any of my Cuda 340's have been.

I also would think the motor has a lot of life left in it. If you where to buy a project car and bring it to like new condition it would make this car look like a steal. I would feel real good if I could get it for $18,000. There are a lot of half way resto's out there that people are asking a lot more than this car. I seen this car before and I have always thought this would be a good car to drive and enjoy. Good Luck!

-
Back