WIW Dana 60

-

'68-340-S

Reaction score
Went to the local bone yard looking for the '71/'72 Dart that was there....gone, so was most of there older stuff. But I found a '74 Power Wagon that still has the Dana in it. Also a '77 Cordoba original 400 (missing) that had the exahust manifolds and 727.
How much do you think the rear end would be worth paying for? In an artical I just read the took a Dana and shortend it for a pass car... beats the 2K for a new one. I really don't have a use for it at this time but wouldn't mind it in my '56 and getting rid of the C body 8 3/4 I have in my shed. I'm going to go back next week and ask how much they want for it.

funny..bc i was curious about the same thing about 2 hours ago...how much tweakage would be needed to fit in a dana?

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a boneyard Dana 60. Make sure it has a sure grip before you buy it. They are in all sorts of later model trucks, fords in particular.

You need to get new ends @ $80-100, labor to shorten 100-300, new axles $300-500, brake assemblies $???.
It adds up quick

The rear won't have bosses for a pinion snubber either, if you choose to go that way.

I have been parting out trucks on the side for years to pay for my car builds. I would go as high as $150.00 if, and only if:

1. It was the ratio you want
2. It was sure-grip
3. It was straight.

If you get the correct years it will already be 30 spline.

Conversely, I have an old 4.10 geared Dana 60 that I would sell for $50.00. But, it has the wrong ratio for me, and course spline side gears.

Just a thought, ROB

Rob, are you telling us that the correct year 30 spline Dana 60 is the same as the 30 spline 8 3/4?

Chuck

I'm 99% sure they are the same, almost 100%.

In fact, a common swap in the truck world is to use Toyota 4x4 outers and axles with either an 8 3/4 or a Dana 60 housing and center section. The pressure angle is slightly different, but it works for an upgrade.

I am looking at skipping the 8 3/4 and just doing the 60. I think it is heavier, or I know it is, but you never have to worry again.

ROB

Man I hope you are right. I just picked up a '67 Dodge D200 old government truck cab and chassis from a guy for just hauling it away. It has a Dana 60 rear with 4.88 suregrip in it. If you are right I am going to narrow it to A-body width, put some 8 3/4 ends on it and some new A-body Yukon axles I have.

I gonna pull one of the axles and check tonight.

Chuck

My guess is that it may have the coarse spline axles, either 16-19 spline.

Let us know. I love freebies!

Thanks, ROB

Rob, it is course spline but did not count them. I have others and I did a search on the web and you are right there are 30 spline Dana 60 carriers. I'm on a mission now.

I always seem to learn something new on this site, good stuff.

Chuck

-
Back