WIW - fresh 383 short block- I need a ‘I can’t turn this down price’. ie: what’s a good deal?

-

4mulas

Fixem'up
Reaction score
Another what’s it worth thread! :)

might buy a short block that I flat out don’t need! Lol. But sometimes if things are around and the price is right you just should.

short description:

- 69’ 383 block, steel crank, stock rods, from a previous low mile build
- it’s .030 over with fresh hone, nice cross hatch no ridge, cylinders mic’d for square
- New KB hypereutectic pistons, KB 162.030
- moly rings apparently file fit to 25 or 27 thou (I think that’s what he said they did)
- new bearings
- new comp baby cam XE 262H 218/224 @ .050, .462/.470 lift
- new comp lifters
- melling high pressure pump
- double roller timing set

the price I’m looking for is - what’s a really good deal, there is value here but the build and motor doesn’t really excite me too much. I know I’ll have to take it apart and recheck everything, so there’s always a chance to find some BS somewhere that could render it useless. you know - the risk factor!

what is a I CANT SAY NO (awesome deal) price On this?

thank you for the replies!

IMG_3017.jpeg

Im always skeptical of rebuilds that I cant hear run, buying from a stranger. You could base a offer on what the parts are worth to you
If you dont need this engine, the value to you is low. Figure the value of parts and machine work and 25 % of that would be my offer, more if I needed the pistons, crank etc

what's the cam and pistons worth? take retail and give it a decent haircut. then add what a runner short block with a forged crank is worth. and finally tack on a few bones for machine work.

i'd say can't miss is $500
if i was on the look for a BB project, i'd say 1K wouldn't turn me off

-
Back