WIW Old industrial hemi

-

oldwirebender

Reaction score
My brother acquired an old stationary style hemi engine from the '50s. It was used to power irrigation systems back in the day. The engine is complete from carb to oil pan. It is a non running engine, but it is not stuck. I am curious as to what would need to be done to this to adapt it to a car. I understand they have low compression, and a cam profile suited for a single RPM. Also, what would this be worth?

First thing to do is take it apart to find out if it's any good. It may be about to lose the main webs after pounding away at a huge pump for 40 years. No doubt the cylinder walls will be worn quite oval and the valve guides will be gone, but the main caps might have walked around enough to have ruined their saddles. Industrial motors get started and left, nobody around to shut'm down if things are just a little off tune, the way it is for your car's engine.

I paid 200 for my 354 industrial. There should be #s behind the water pump in front of the valley pan. They will help identify what it is. Also you have to look and see if it has the extra water ports on the bottom of the front of the block. I know they are quite a bit less desirable. If you need any help identifying it. Shoot me some #s and I will see what I can do.

Marine industrial for boats etc., ran counter clock wise. You can Google old Hemi numbers pretty easy. If it was used for irrigation I would be more concerned about pitting. . I payed $450 for mine ,was froze up and had a broke crank. Also give Bob walker at Hot heads a call or look up The H.A.M Web site. Old Hemi guys alot of knowlege there. You will want to have the crank reballanced, new heads . Either truck heads or the Chrysler heads (they have the larger valves) or opt for the Hot Heads aluminum heads Nice. I would have it completely gone through. Have it tanked and magged. To have it reworked isn't cheap. it cost me close to $8000. 40 over ,balance the crank ,new cam and pistons ,hard seats ,Chrysler heads. I was told you can go as far as 80 over on them.
As far as selling price .There is no set market. Start alittle high you can always come down. Good luck

-
Back