Won’t start after warmed up

-

Shamrock--WV2NC

Reaction score
Hey y’all. 74 Dart with 86 360. Here goes: It started fine. Then took it on a 10 minute trip. Turned it off. Tried to restart and clicked like a dead battery. Tried moving gear selector (column shift). Still dead. Let it cool overnight, tried again. Still dead.
Couple days later tried again. Dead. Gave it a jump with the truck and fired right up. Let it run for 10 minutes. Pulled ground cable off battery, and it stayed running. Put cable back in battery. Turned car off. Started right back. Thinking, “Ok, that was weird but it’s seems all good”. So a few days later I cranked it up. Took wifey for 10 minute cruise.(same trip as last time). We get back, both of us smiling because we finally can enjoy the car. I turn the car off. For ***** n giggles I start it back up. Nothing. Dead. What the heck is wrong with this car?

Check your output voltage from the alternator, if that's good I'd make sure your ground wire has a good connection. 65'

I had that problem with the replacement cable ends on the positive cable. I actually got stuck at a gas station with no start, but cleaned positive cable end and started right up. I went directly to auto parts store and bought new end and good since than.

I had a cheap repo negative cable do the same thing. Years ago I had a coil on a stock Duster half bad - wouldn't work after getting fully warmed up.

-
Back