wont shift rite

-

SirDan

Reaction score
my cars a 73 318 with an automatic. i just got the engine running right and was driving it around a bit. ive noticed a few things. it does not seem to kick down ever when you mash the throttle. if you floor it it doesent really rev out in first it just goes to second too quickly. it also doesent like to shift when your cruising, especialy 3rd. im thinking at least some of these simptoms are caused by the kick down linkage but how do i adjust that? any help would be great. i dont really want to drive the car much like this im afraid ill damage something.

adjust the kickdown rod so it's all the way in(shortest). take it for a part(easy)throttle drive and see how it shifts. keep making the rod longer until your happy with the shifting. it should be in high gear between 25-30mph.

I only can add that it needs to be set correctly like bOb said , or you can burn up a good transmission, it needs pump pressure for the clutches and don't drive it hard until it is set.

cool ill give that a shot. it also doesent seem to kick down once it does shift.
is it a threaded rod to your kick down?
try lengthening it at the threaded adjuster, Sounds like your linkage is not moving your kick down pressure valve plate at the transmission.

DOH! the return spring wasent hooked in the proper place! i adjusted it how the chiltons manual said to. I put the throttle where it sits at idle with no choke then adjusted the thing that goes over the rod nipple thing so the back end of it was just slightly touching it. shift points seem fine and it downshifts!

-
Back