Woo Hoo! I got a seat for the...

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
annual Night Of Fire at the track. My neighbor Anthony just came down and asked me to drive his 8 second Camaro in Super Pro. I of course graciously accepted.

I don't know if I can adequetely describe what it's like to drive a car that runs 160+ in a standing quarter mile. When you leave the line it's like getting hit from behind by a truck going 70 MPH. It's a fight the whole way down the track to keep it in the "groove" and when it's over you yank the chute and take a couple of G's to the chest and eyeballls, should be fun.

I know it's not an A Body, and not even a Mopar but it's a first class car with a huge engine in it. Good for practice anyway. :)

Sounds like fun even in a bowtie...my son was thrilled the day he got to run a 410 sprint at the local track.

Man I'd love to have the chance to do that. The fastest car I had only went 13.50's. I'm hoping when I get the Cuda back together it'll break into the 12's.

Still nothing like what you did though.:headbang:

You lucky dog you! :toothy8: Do you need a cert to drive that car, or would that only be in a NHRA event? Let us know how it goes!

Eric, just show up and pay at the gate like any Saturday.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I'll be making some passes in it at the test and tune on Wednesday and Friday night before the race.

Yeah, you are supposed to have a competition license at that ET, which I need to do anyway as my new car should be quite capable of running in the 9's. We'll see.

Well the first couple of passes didn't go so well. My neighbor wasn't using a line lock for burnouts and I always have so I had a hard time trying to do a proper burnout. As such the car never hooked. So although there is a line lock on the car it was never wired. We'll wire it up Friday and try again.

Additionally Anthony is a bit shorter than me so the car doesn't fit me very well. The steering wheel rubs my legs and the switch panel is right in front of my face.

Hooked up the line lock and made one motor pass, 10.28 at 132 and some change. It's fat and the 3.90 rear gear makes it kind of lazy. That's OK though we just need it to be consistent.

Guitar Jones said:
Hooked up the line lock and made one motor pass, 10.28 at 132 and some change. It's fat and the 3.90 rear gear makes it kind of lazy. That's OK though we just need it to be consistent.

Better fat than lean, and gears can be changed. Think he'll let you drive when you all got the tune on it? Just curious, why 'aint he drivin'?

By the way, how the heck long is the strip open in FL?

ramcharger said:
Better fat than lean, and gears can be changed. Think he'll let you drive when you all got the tune on it? Just curious, why 'aint he drivin'?

By the way, how the heck long is the strip open in FL?

Well he keeps asking me if I want to spray it. :)

Anthony isn't driving it because he thinks I'm a better driver.

The strip is open most of the year. It's closed for 2 weeks over the holidays but there aren't any regular races after October or before April, just a couple of special events and street drags.

-
Back