Wood Chipper/Shredder Project

-

SuperStock

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got new project, I though I need your help.

I bought a Wood Chipper without an engine. I also have 97 Infinity V6 engine and trans bought from junkyard, no engine wiring harness, no engine control unit.

I want to use the V6 to power the Chipper, I think I can weld and hook the V6 to the Chipper. My question is:

1/How hard to get the V6 running? Im talking about install wiring harness, ECU to Infinity V6.

2/The Chipper required less than 900 RMP, so I either have to use transmission(came with the V6) OR buy a new Gear Box. Are there way I can operate the Infinity trans without TCM? OR should I look for e new Gear Box?

Any help would be very appreciated!

Good luck, if you figure it out please post pictures and what you had to do.....

Wiring that ECU is going to be fun, being that it has a lot of self diagnostic junk built into it. Then again, check engine light being one won't be a big deal.....

You could use belt drive reduction to reduce rpm (would increase torque available at the chipper blades

Honest opinion would be to try and trade the Infinity driveline for something more suited to the job at hand.

So the mother-in-law is really that bad?

What does that mean? Sorry, my English is ..limited! lol

Wiring that ECU is going to be fun, being that it has a lot of self diagnostic junk built into it. Then again, check engine light being one won't be a big deal.....

Yeah, I know it gonna be a lot of fun, but how hard to get that done? I never really gone through modern car hardness/ECU and stuff. Is there diagram for it?

You could use belt drive reduction to reduce rpm (would increase torque available at the chipper blades

What a great idea! However using trans/gear box would be a first choice, because I will able to stop/star quickly. If it is very difficult to modify the trans to operate with TCM, I will consider using belt driving, thanks!

Honest opinion would be to try and trade the Infinity driveline for something more suited to the job at hand.

Thanks, this will be plan B. I go with plan A first. Below are some pics of project.

I bought complete harness and ECU, wired to all sensor and hook other end to ECU. Im thinking connect negative terminal to outer ECU box(as ground wire) and Im trying to find positive wire to power ECU. Im stuck here:

**I have trouble find + wire in ECU(if engine in the car, it would be easier). Anyone have ECU circuit diagram ? OR any idea to figure the + wire?

**Assume I found + wire to power ECU. In my understanding, I would able to start the engine. But Im might wrong, what do you guys think, can I get the engine running once the ECU get power?

Im really appreciate your help.

Yeah, 318 would be excellent idea for the wood chipper, high torque low rpm(compare to infinity). However I want to use what we have first. If it won't work, I will look for a 318.

one of the first thing i hope you understand... is that the chipper you have was built to run off a tractor P.T.O (POWER TAKE OFF).... there is a gear box built into the chipper... i don't know that you can get your motor to run at 540 RPM... you might be better off going to a farm and garden supply or someplace that sell golf course equipment and seeing if you can pick up a 3cly. Kabota diesel from a goulf course mower.... i have used them to power generators some come with turbo's.... i wouldn't use that one for a chipper..... (but remember the chipper isn't made to run at high RPM at the gear box).... the chipper RPM will be way more than 540RPM at the cutter wheel

I'm thinking this is kind of an exotic/cool method to powering an implement that was meant to be powered with something much less powerful. Why not just run it off a tractor PTO as designed?

This is a great thread.

I want to get a slant six or just a 13 horse kohler motor to run a wood chipper so I can properly shred documents, aluminum cans, bottles, and misc junk.

Friggin typical document shredders are time consuming to operate, short lifespan having overpriced dog shi% specifically designed to separate every day folk from his time and money.

Did this shredder ever manifest into anything?

I'm thinking this is kind of an exotic/cool method to powering an implement that was meant to be powered with something much less powerful. Why not just run it off a tractor PTO as designed?

-
Back