Wooden Deck Maintenance-Paint or Stain

-
Rusty your right follow the grain on the end of the 5/4” board ((((( cup facing down. That’s what happen to the deck I was working on a few boards where bad because they held water.

Yup. That's what the idiots did to both our front and rear porches. 90% of the boards are upside down. Morons.

I used Behr semi-transparent Cedar finish from Home Depot. Built the deck about 10 years ago. Have redone the floor every 3-4 years. Rails lasted 8+ before they started looking a little shabby. Pics are from last year before and after refinish.

38D712D0-EEC4-4E17-A460-BF0A575B324B.jpeg

37BBA838-422F-4393-B9EF-835C9B764CF1.jpeg

05265FD5-8004-46D4-8556-57105611BF14.jpeg

All the new environmentally friendly stains are crap now. They do not holdup to sunlight at all. It’s just what we have to live with now.

I just recently had a local professional carpenter tell me that you're really not supposed to paint or stain any pressure treated lumber. He says both will hole moisture in and make it rot from the inside out. I have a few sections of fence frame that seems to coincide with what he said. I've never heard that before.

I dont have a deck , but I just read about this ''new'' stuff called ''permaseal'', dont know if u can buy it, contractors advertising it here. Supposed to last for a really long time -30ish yrs or something like that --------
Is that the epoxy? someone I know has been touting some sort of clear wood epoxy...

-
Back