work vehicle

-

spl440

Everybody's Fool
Reaction score
Injured my left knee a couple of months ago. My Dart and pick-up I use for work are both standards. Would like to get a different vehicle for work, automatic, need something that I can work out of fixing helicopters at the hospital and more importantly road side repairs. ( Medivac helicopter operations). Was looking into either a mommy van, wagon or one of the small diesel vans. not used to any one of these type rigs.Reliability and mileage are the two biggest concerns. Any thoughts?

I use a Ford Transit Connect at work. It's the perfect size.small enough to get around easily, but enough room for tools and hauling some furniture.

We have an '05 Grand Caravan with the Stow-n-go seats that fold into the floor. I call it the family truckster. With all the seats folded down you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood inside and has a cargo capacity of around 1500 lbs (I have had that much in it). Easy access with side doors on each side and the rear hatch opens over 6' high. It also seats up to 7 adults with all the seats up. It also has a roof rack.

Gets 17 mpg around town and 25 mpg highway. 3.8L V6 with 220 hp.

We had a couple of Ford Transit Connect vans we bought new at work. They proved to be pretty reliable, even with multiple drivers that didn't give a crap about them. I used them a couple times and they are very roomy inside and not bad to drive. The threshold was low to make loading and unloading easier. Big side and rear doors too.

I'll second(third, fourth...) the Transit Connect. I bought it for my dog, so when he's riding with me he doesn't get dog hair all over the car. Mine is a '10, first generation, doesn't get terrific mileage, maybe 25 on the highway, close to it in the city. It has steep gears so at 80 it's really turning.

I use it a lot for moving stuff, it's versatile and easy to drive. Really like it and I'm not a Ford person.

What do you get for mileage out of it?

I probably do more highway than in town. Get right around 24-25 mpg.

IMG_20170728_173949146.jpg

Grand caravans are pretty decent, 3 or four come here for regular service. Stow and go is a nice feature. One 2009 has 360,000km’s and is still in pretty decent shape. I would say,brakes and a couple coolant leaks were the major stuff. Did struts because they were noisy.
Wires broke in door jamb,body control is is in door.

the Ford seems like what I am looking for, but due to financial restraints a mini van is what I will probably what I will end up with. Which ones to stay away from and which ones are better?

-
Back