Working on a set of Custom outer scuff plates for my dart

-

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
Been slowly getting back to the garage to finish up a couple projects for the Dart and found a cool little project I want to see finished. I wanted a name plate fr my outer plain jane scuff plates and these just might work out after I fix the oops and bug in it. first test was wayyyyyy too precise and actually sheared letters out of the aluminium $#%#$%^$^ forgot to add extra "forming" space. I guess adding in .030 space for the aluminum and another 0.020 wasn't enough to clear without shearing. But it does look promising. Next try will fix the oops

20221203_142152.jpg

20221203_142157 (1).jpg

20221203_142212 (1).jpg

20221203_142238.jpg

20221203_142245 (1).jpg

20221203_172653 (1).jpg

20221203_172655 (1).jpg
and I'll see what else I missed on this setup. I like it though and it's close to working out for me!

There is another possibility...

The metal is getting too thin from stretching and separating. (Ripping rather than shearing)

That looks like the same font that Dunkin Donuts uses. Looks good, it just makes me want to go buy a coffee. Lol!

What are you using to make the embossing
this test is in corian, if I can get it preffected then it'll be in a 1/2 strip of aluminum so the press doesn't break it like it does the corian (makes large cracked even glued solid to 2 layers of 1" 9 ply plywood) wiht a 1/4"x 3" x 40" thick strap in the center of them

There is another possibility...

The metal is getting too thin from stretching and separating. (Ripping rather than shearing)
Tried it at .0625 depth and it still sheared. then mic'd out the male and female lettering and found out it's wayyyyyyyy too close .026 instead of the .060 I really need (my bad forgetting to add in the metal thickness on both sides of the lettering instead of just a clearance path. Stupid operator error gets me every time.)

That looks like the same font that Dunkin Donuts uses. Looks good, it just makes me want to go buy a coffee. Lol!
looked at the dunkin font but it was just too huge to scale and look decent for press work (BTW I was drinking Dunkin at the time too! but it was a large hot,hot,hot chocolate not coffee:p)

When you get it all worked out make me a set that fit my Dart Sport.
They could even say "Spirit of 76" on them.
I would even pay you for them.

When you get it all worked out make me a set that fit my Dart Sport.
They could even say "Spirit of 76" on them.
I would even pay you for them.
I'd need the dimension of the original sill plate or at least one as a copy part but here is the setup for your spirit of 76. I'm making some of mine from ABS textured plastic too so I can change them out for different car shows. and yeah I am going to paint some of them body color

SPIRIT OF 76.png

-
Back