Working with young fellas

-

Ottmundr

68 Fastback
Reaction score
So I'm finishing up four carbon prop spinners and Mr. Move-Your-Sixgun-Old-Man-Museum-Car-*** wippersnapper comes to me begging for help because him and another spring chicken need some help with a stuck nut and bolt for a propeller shipping crate they couldn't break loose for over twenty minutes.

I change the angle of their channel-locks by 90*, and throw some machining oil on the threads, let it set for all of thirty seconds, and off it comes.

Profuse thanks on their part.
Profuse laughter on my part.
Gotta love kids who know everything.
I ain't gonna let this is one go for at least a week.

:lol: that's awesome.
i completely forget who's story this is, very famous car customizer from the 50's and 60's?. he was just starting out and was trying to do some fiberglass work on a custom car. it was a hot day, didn't get the right amount of hardner in the resin and he was working under the car. just a mess. this older body guy stood there and watched him for about 20min without saying a thing, and finaly told him "You know, kid, money can’t buy the experience you’re getting right here."

One guy I worked with was trying to start a 75 Vette. He cranked it and cranked it and the air was blue. He got out and slammed the door. I got in and (remember it was a 75) loaded the choke and fired right up. He was pissed and I was laughing my head off. He asked what I did and I just told him I turned the key and fired it up. Made him even madder. Never did tell him what I did.

Surprised they didn't google the answer on their phones.... That's what the young ones would do at my work between watching movies and texting.....

JW

Surprised they didn't google the answer on their phones.... That's what the young ones would do at my work between watching movies and texting.....

JW
i'm at work, so i probably better not google "get my nut off"...

JW
I hear ya on the phone thing , my apprentice can’t think past the end of his nose , then talks back when you offer advice.... millennials

Hey don't group us all into that b.s
Sorry but in my experience I go through about 9/10 young guys to one good one ,your probably the good one ,don’t be offended .

Gonna be a tough life for these youngsters who spend all day playing on their phones or X-box. Won't even step away from the screen long enough to learn how to change a washer in a faucet. I keep telling him one day that 10 cent washer is going to cost you $100 for a plumber to replace. You try and try to get through and X-box takes "control" of their every waking moment. I keep telling him I'm going to make an X-box puzzle how many pieces would he like???

Gonna be a tough life for these youngsters who spend all day playing on their phones or X-box. Won't even step away from the screen long enough to learn how to change a washer in a faucet. I keep telling him one day that 10 cent washer is going to cost you $100 for a plumber to replace. You try and try to get through and X-box takes "control" of their every waking moment. I keep telling him I'm going to make an X-box puzzle how many pieces would he like???
There are some good YouTube videos about that very thing !

Ever watch a youngster who does nothing but use his thumbs playing X-box try to use a screw driver or ANY hand tool? Might as well have 10 thumbs!!!

Best thing you ever did Ron

I was an apprentice when I got in the Operating Engineers. I did have some training before hand since I had been hangin' out with my father and his coworkers since I was like 10. They put me in the heavy duty repair class since they had no classes for my chosen craft. That year we had the first female apprentice in my local and she wanted to be an equipment operator and began her training as such. She broke everything she touched on our days at the training site. She broke the tractor she was operating and limps it over to us at the parking area to fix. There sits a skid steer loader with no one operating it. "You wanna try that one?" I says. She agrees but has never operated one before so I jump in it and show her how it operates. Dug a hole, filled it back up, did some grading, just before I park it I start riding wheelies across the yard. She got in and tried her hand at it for the rest of the class. The next day at the training site she's not there. The coordinator gathered us all up "Well Cathy has decided the operating engineers is not for her. She's gone back to being a dental hygienist." "Good grief, I scared her off" I thought to myself.

I'm in my mid 40s and have a 3 yr old son. Try to teach him what I can. He asks all the time for me to " take him and show him the parts" I comply, and show him around. Now mind you he's 3-1/2 and can identify the difference between a Holley and a Thermoquad carburetor. Knows where it goes on an engine and what its mounted to. My wife and I are really amazed at his mechanical ability at his age. I keep bringing him out and let him "turn wrench" as he calls it. Hopefully we can continue to raise him to ot be some entitled little brat. Here he is a few weeks ago helping me on the Duster. He was actually tightening the bolts on the carb.
20200530_173946.jpg

I'm in my mid 40s and have a 3 yr old son. Try to teach him what I can. He asks all the time for me to " take him and show him the parts" I comply, and show him around. Now mind you he's 3-1/2 and can identify the difference between a Holley and a Thermoquad carburetor. Knows where it goes on an engine and what its mounted to. My wife and I are really amazed at his mechanical ability at his age. I keep bringing him out and let him "turn wrench" as he calls it. Hopefully we can continue to raise him to ot be some entitled little brat. Here he is a few weeks ago helping me on the Duster. He was actually tightening the bolts on the carb.View attachment 1715547378
That's lovely. You're a great dad.

-
Back