Worth restoring or haul it off?

-

cascius

Reaction score
I bought a '69 Dart the other day for the drivetrain that's very rusty. It needs full quarters, a hood, lower fender patches, the cowl between the trunk lid and rear glass has some rust near the glass, the passenger a-pillar has a hole in it, the passenger front floorboard has a small hole in it, and there is a hole in the cowl below the windshield. Everything is definitely repairable if someone had the skill to do it and money to buy the parts.

I just wanted to try and get other people's opinion on what they though of it. I think it's cool because it's a '69 Dart, but at the same time it needs a ton of metal work and I don't really have the tools or place to do it myself. I definitely can't afford to pay someone to do it so I've considered selling the shell. Take a look at the pics and tell me your opinions on what you would do if it were yours. I know the pictures aren't the greatest but hopefully you'll get the idea. Thanks.

tysedart028.jpg

tysedart029.jpg

tysedart030.jpg

tysedart031.jpg

tysedart032.jpg

tysedart034.jpg

I am all for saving rusty cars but this one is just too far gone as long as its nothing special. Take off everything good and get rid of the rest.

Yeah, this car can save others like a hero. If there's any body panels or sections of panels that are usable, take or cut those off and try to get those to others who can use them. Possibly the deck lid, roof, any good floor sections, doors, and anything else that can still be used. It looks like it has a lot of usable parts on it, even if they're just for drivers. I might be interested in the hood scoop if unbroken since it looks removable, but not sure how much that would cost to ship.

i hate to say it too, but this one looks to have one foot in the grave. save every part you can.....

That's kind of the road I was thinking. The doors are really nice so they definitely will be saved. It's got quite a bit of interior parts as well as core bumpers and a decent grill if you got all the spray paint off of it. A buddy of mine kept telling me that someone may want it to restore and that I should sell it as a whole car rather than strip it. I have no plans to restore it as I have enough projects as it is.

72Dodge-The scoop is broken but if someone were good with fiberglass it could probably be repaired.

Thanks for the info on the scoop. Probably not worth it with shipping costs on top of it then, but thanks! Good luck whatever you decide. It's really unfortunate, but as much as it costs to restore a car and with current car prices, the car is almost valueless as a start to a restoration at that point (unless it was really rare/valuable). After stripping it down, it's going to be worth more in scrap metal than you'd ever get out of it selling it as a shell. Another fallen warrior. Hopefully the steel ends up as new Challengers and not Toyrotas.

If you do happen to part it i'd be interested in the tail light bezels

Come on guy's, that would be an easy fix LOL! Yup, it's a shame, but look's like a parts car, save everything, you don't just go to the yard and get parts for these cars anymore. I have a couple dart's that are pretty well stripped, but I refuse to send them to the yard to get crushed.

A local yard has 2 69's, ,1 64 ,1 65, and a 67 but they dont crush em there

this is very restorable worth bringin back to life. if it was 74-76 dart its not worth that much to restore.its a two door not a four door worth gettin saved.

that is not what I would call rusty, yea it needs some work but unless the undercarriage is rotted away that would be a decent project car here in the Northern States

Mine has easily as much rust,but I have the skills and equipment. Plus I like bringing dead thing's back from the grave....

One spot at the time, a little at the time and it could be good as new. It all depends on what YOU want, not a bunch of people on a forum.

I would dig into it and really give it a good look. It may not be as bad as it looks. If it is at all salvageable, someone might tackle it. Remember they don't make them anymore. Take what you want and sell the shell.

All true, but with that much rust, before anything else, I'd thoroughly check all the frame rails first to see if they're shot.

Sheehit, I see an easy Hemi Dart clone sitting there.

Small block with cheap rumpy cam, and cut the rust out (Hemi Darts had modded wheel wells anyways, didn't they?). Rivet in some aluminum for the Ricky Racer look, because your interior is almost there already.

I think it's the perfect street cruiser at that point. It's not cherry, so I wouldn't be afraid to rock it on the street like I would my baby. Get hit or wreck it? Who cares!

If you were closer, that's exactly what I would do with it when I bought it from you.

It looks almost as bad as mine but my floors are solid, fenders, 1/4's, and rockers all the same spots.

One spot at the time, a little at the time and it could be good as new. It all depends on what YOU want, not a bunch of people on a forum.

I don't plan on restoring it right now. I'm just trying to decide whether to leave it a whole car and sell it like it is for someone else to restore or to strip it down to nothing and start parting it out. If I had more time, money, and skills, and tools I'd probably attempt it just to see it brought back to life.

Sheehit, I see an easy Hemi Dart clone sitting there.

Small block with cheap rumpy cam, and cut the rust out (Hemi Darts had modded wheel wells anyways, didn't they?). Rivet in some aluminum for the Ricky Racer look, because your interior is almost there already.

I think it's the perfect street cruiser at that point. It's not cherry, so I wouldn't be afraid to rock it on the street like I would my baby. Get hit or wreck it? Who cares!

If you were closer, that's exactly what I would do with it when I bought it from you.

Where are you at?

If the frame rails, torsion bar crossmember, and A-pillars are good then I'd restore it.

-
Back