would i be wasteing my money? (rear houseing)

-

74demon

Reaction score
Hey hows every one doing it has bin a wile since i last posted due to most my questions are answer by searching but i wast able to find the answer i was looking for ...here my question i have a 72 demon im swaping to a 8 3/4 rear but do not have anything yet to do it i was looking at the moser mo875 i like the look and its pretty thick but is it really worth it for me to spend that kind of money i recently went to chryslers at carlise and i saw alot fast cars running what looks to be the stock style 8 3/4 houseing my car is working to be a 440 stroker 4 speed car capable of a 10.9 time or better and i want to make sure i get good parts i do not mind spending money on a good part but not if the oem is perfectly fine i already plan to chage to stronger axels and differntal so my question is based on houseing only thank you for your help .....p.s. soory for gramer and speeling this is hard to type out on cell phone

If you are going to go fast, especially with a 4 speed and sticky tires, you will need a good differential assembly. Whether it is a new or old housing isn't critical but having good axles, gears, bearings and diff is.

Nuthin wrong with overkill in the drivetrain.

The 4 spd behind a stroked 440 with slicks is going to be a driveline killer. The Moser housing is the least I'd do but I'd rather have a Dana 60 with that combo.

then i will be looking in to a dana 60 i will lisen to you guys cuss you guys have bin doing this a lot longer then me im 23 and my genration got stuck with honda civics ...and i do plan to upgrade all parts of the rear its self just needed to know where i stand on houseing but dana 60 probly the way i will go after research ...thank you all and again sorry for speeling

stock houseing should be ok right ? i know a guy who cuts dannas his work is awsome and he said he would cut me one at a real good deal and it would be readdy to bolt in just would have to get axels and diffrental

stock housing should be ok right ? i know a guy who cuts dannas his work is awsome and he said he would cut me one at a real good deal and it would be readdy to bolt in just would have to get axels and diffrental

I had a Dana done earlier this year. You need new perches and axle end housings. The shop must have a jig (shaft and bushings) to ensure the ends are concentric when they weld them on. If the shop is set-up to do this properly it isn't expensive. I paid around $250. You can buy a whole new housing for around $800. The axles, bearings, Detroit locker and gears cost the $$$$. I think the whole deal was $2300 with all new parts (less brakes and lines) and a super deal on the locker. That doesn't include the Dana 60 core. Things are a bit more costly up here so you should be able to do it cheaper.

the guy i know who dose do them had all the stuff to do it he use to own a speed shop back in the day and now just dose stuff on the side ...so looks like i will go stock danna house with aftermarkt internals....thanks for the help all

stock houseing should be ok right ? i know a guy who cuts dannas his work is awsome and he said he would cut me one at a real good deal and it would be readdy to bolt in just would have to get axels and diffrental

I don't have any experience with Dana's but I know they are super stout so I think a stock housing is strong enough for what your doing.

-
Back