Would this be a dealer installed option?

-
I have a similar Draw-Tite hitch on my 67 Barracuda. Got it off a junkyard 68 Barracuda, back when you could still find second generation Barracudas in the junk yard. Until I finally got around to getting a pickup truck, I used it pretty often. The motorcycles are long gone, but I still have the Barracuda and it still has the hitch (I wish I was still this skinny.)

View attachment 1715626623

OK, has nothing to do with the subject of the post, but here's how the $50 estate-sale 750 turned out.

View attachment 1715626625
Proves my point. These hitches were often over loaded.

Proves my point. These hitches were often over loaded.

I agree and disagree. I think they were rated at 1,000 pounds - that light trailer and two motorcycles didn't exceed that, or at least not by much, and the mounting points in my 67 Barracuda are still in excellent shape all these years later. But my father earlier had put these kind of hitches on our 65 Barracuda and 67 Charger, then hauled probably a couple thousand pounds of sand with them, in a heavy homemade trailer that was essentially the bed, rear frame and axle from a 3/4 ton truck. Way overloaded for sure. As a result, both of these cars suffered six-inch long rips in the spare tire well from hauling too much weight for the thin sheet metal the hitch was bolted to, and both rear bumpers were buggered.

I gotcha beat. I got a '74 Valiant with TWO hitches on it.

I use it to tow trailer loads of BS.

-
Back