WOW '70 340 duster sells for $38.5k..

-
I also wasn't sure on the radio….but clearly the dash is silver paint and not chrome like it should be (as seen in the post by 70coyoteduster).

In a 38k car I would at least expect a correctly restored dash…… But it's an auction… People with lots of cash and little brains.

I didn't say it was good for the hobby. I just stated a fact -- Barrett-Jackson sets the tempo for collector car prices, and this sale will be used as a benchmark going forward.

Can you imagine what this car would have sold for if it had been in correct, #1 condition??

The same or even less. Once they crack the 30's, it better be a super correct restoration or an ultra clean, low mileage survivor. For a 38k 70 Duster 340 4 spd, I better be hearing 'Mama Told Me Not To Come' by Three Dog Night mysteriously blasting from the car like 'Not Fade Away' in the movie Christine! Automatically add 15% to the price if it's FM3.

Just looking at the engine pic, lots of incorrect things: Radiator, location of ballast resistor, painted hood latch among others. 71 blackout treatment, chrome exhaust tips, no chrome on the rallye dash, etc. Overall, it appears to be a clean Duster 340 but that's about it. Amazing. A fool soon parts with his money.

Granted, it may have sold at that price but I highly doubt that early Duster 340's (or Demon 340's) will be parading through at those prices in the future. Clean and correct examples have and will continue to be sold within the 20-30 range, some even less. The market is dominated by the volatile ups and downs of the B's and E's.

-
Back