Wrinkle Coat Paint Question

-

Lakeeffect

Drive Fast , Take Chances
Reaction score
I used the over the counter black wrinkle paint. Worked Good. Question is- Can you Paint over it ? So it would basically colored wrinkle? Anyone ever tried it?

If you have any of the wrinkle left make a small test area on something and try it. I would think you can.

I think it would work if you didn't hit it too hard with the cover paint. Do a test patch as mentioned before.

I'm no painter but have heard about issues with compatibility with base / top coats rejecting each other. I have no clue how to check for that :-D but I'm sure one of the painters can steer you in the right direction.

Just try it. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, we'll, you've for yourself a nice piece of fisheyed test material. :D

Just try it. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, we'll, you've for yourself a nice piece of fisheyed test material. :D

No doubt! And we can all learn vicariously through your mistake. :-D Isn't it great being on a message board???

Jes' messin with ya Lake. Not being a painter, I'm kind of anxious to hear the answer too. With powder coating, I can layer color upon color to create all kinds of special effects, and a texture on the bottom is one of the coolest ones you can get.

View attachment 039 - Copy.jpg

This is Wilder Red, a candy translucent, on top of Copperwood, a heavy vein, shot from about 3 inches away. The bell support is done in Ink Black over Shimmer River, another heavy texture.

I have painted and clearcoated several of my parts.Try a test spot and try and use the same brand of paint as the one you have already sprayed.Just finished my instrument cluster(silver,white) and the gauges and they turned out really good.

I take it that your part is already coated with a good coat of wrinkle paint and you just want it to be a different color so you want to go over it with standard paint? If they don't make wrinkle in the color you want, you'll just have to give it a try. I think I'd use the same brand of paint so there is no incompatibility problem. Just make sure it's spotlessly clean and dry before you do. I've had the best luck with a full strip and repaint when it comes to the wrinkle paint. I've tried to touch up chipped ones and it always looked like it was touched up so I gave up and just stripped them.

I know a lot more about automotive paints than I do about aerosol anything let alone wrinkle so take this for what it's worth. Typically you can spray most paints over most other paints as long as you have either a chemical or mechanical bond. So you need to scuff the surface for mechanical adhesion and for chemical adhesion you have to spray it within a given topcoat window. So since sanding a wrinkle finish is pretty much impossible you'll have to spray your color not long after the wrinkle finish and make sure you scuff before you wrinkle :D

To get a good chemical bond on old paint, I've used the washable TSP with good results.

I know nothing about Paint. I think ill just do a test first. Thanks for all the help. Ill post a pic with the results. I'm 5 hours from home so my 340/red paint is at home but i have some Wrinkle to try and a few different brands of paint.

Hard to tell. It does look decent but the red coat kinda filled in some of the wrinkle effect. I have a Old Offy intake already wrinkle coated. Ill try that next.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 118
-
Back