wrong offset on my wheels

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
just got back from my local big o. ive been noticing an odd grindin sounds when i turn my dart, usually when its all the way lockd one way or the other. accordin to Rich (my mehcanic), its the wheel offset hitting the control arm or sumthin like that. says there was some damage, but nothing major. i guess it sounds worse than it is.

so what can i do to fix this? doi need something like wheel spacers? they said itll b fine and just dont lock it but id prefer 2 just fix it

Tell us what wheels and size tires you have on there ? stock control arms or after market?Was anything else changed from stock?I'd pull a wheel and see where it's rubbing and take it from there.

Turn the wheels to lock and see where its hitting and how bad. Sounds like a spacer might fix it. You could put some washers behind the wheel to see how big of a spacer you need, just dont drive the car like that.

my tire is 205/70R14 Signet (some korean tire -_-) and my wheels are dish centerlines, i dont know what you would call em but heres a picture of one

wheel.jpg

i have no idea if its stock or aftermarket control arms. these wheels were mounted before i bought the car

Are you sure it's hitting on both sides? Maybe your steering box is not centered? Just a thought.

Also make sure the stops are there and in good shape.

Well stock would be the pressed steel units as opposed to aftermarket tubular A-arms .
Was the car running driving when you purchased it?Just wondering if this has been going on from the time you aquired the car or if something was changed and then the noise started.That would narrow down your search.Like I said easiest thing would be to pull a wheel and see for yourself exactly what is rubbing.Look for any shiney metal or powdered metal flakes to lead you to the source.First look to see if the tires are rubbing anywhere.

Are you sure it's hitting on both sides? Maybe your steering box is not centered? Just a thought.

Also make sure the stops are there and in good shape.

well like i said, my mechanic saw light damage (probably like scrathers or something) on the control arm. it does it both sides, im positive. i can feel it

Tire size means nothing. As asked earlier, what is the wheel back spacing? Typical 4.25" or 4.5" should not be an issue.

oh that i dont know haha. the car was running when i got it, but when we bought it we had our shop do a completely new brake system. as far as im aware, literally everything brake related minus the master cylinder and pbb are brand new (as of september 09)

i dont remember when i started noticing it, could be a problem since ive owned it but i cant say

back spacing, you can tell by the wheel the lugs are at the front, prbly 5.5 bs, I have the exact same issue, trying to avoid spacers as it's for the strip or new rims cus I love the ones I have and just bought new tires for $450 to get the back ones to work. Wondering about adjustable bars, struts, arms.

back spacing, you can tell by the wheel the lugs are at the front, prbly 5.5 bs, I have the exact same issue, trying to avoid spacers as it's for the strip or new rims cus I love the ones I have and just bought new tires for $450 to get the back ones to work. Wondering about adjustable bars, struts, arms.

yeah i just want to know wut i can do to fix it without changing rims cuz i love the look of my wheels!

well if ether of us figure it out well have to tell the world, I'm just going to throw the spacers I bought for the rear on for now with a little locktite blue and Conical Seat/Shank lug nuts so the nut is flush with the hub.

I know everyone hates spacers and I will take them out when I put the front end back together, but I don't see the problem if the nut is flush with hub it means you have used the entire thread of the bolt. If the spacer is billet it's just as strong as the metal around it. If we are talking physics then wouldn't washers in any application also be considered unsafe? The grinding could push out your alignment, cause over and under steer, destroy the rim and countless other potential problems, so I think I'm on the lesser side of 2 evils.

-
Back