Status
Not open for further replies.

66Dvert

Working on my custom car parts again!
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Contact seller
as stated in the header I'm looking for a 73 and up disc/drum proportioning valve. I'm getting close to ordering brake lines and want to have the valve handy when I call Finelines to get my lines for my 66
thanks

I have this factory valve, and all the hard lines, up to the master cylinder
Jim V.

Attachments

• A Body Disc Brakes #10 027 (Small).JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 203
At the risk of starting an argument: The part folks believe is a proportioning valve is little more than a switch housing for the brake failure warning light. It has no proportioning properties to it at all. It is a glorified "TEE" with a shuttle in it for tripping the light on when one end, front or rear, is getting less pressure than the other. Other wise it is just sending the brakes their respective fluids front to rear. The part shown is the same as used in the drum brake system. It is a common misconception. If in doubt take one apart and measure it out its internals and you'll see.
The proportioning needs to be done in line via an actual proportioning valve that's available from virtually everyone in the after market industry. Even MP had one for a number of years and, I believe it, was actually made by Willwood. The key is the residual pressure valving; also in line and made in the aftermarket. I think it is 5psi for discs and 2 for drums but don't take my word for the pressures without checking with a MFG as to their system requirements.

The valve/block pic hemi71x has posted is a disc brake proportioning valve that was started to be used in 1971. Prior to 71 a block and a seperate prop valve was used. The mopar drum block pic #2 was used for drum cars. Disc brake cars used the drum block pic #2 and the pic #3 prop valve. In 71 the valve was consolidated into one valve. You can see how the #3 pic prop valve was amalgamated into the drum valve.

The first pic is a 71 and later proportioning valve for disc brake cars
Pic #2 is a drum block for drum cars when used by itself
Pic #3 is a proportioning valve for disc brake cars 70 and earlier when used with pic #2 block.
the Prop valve ( pic 3 )was mounted 12-14 inches away from the drum block and was mounted on the side of the frame rail almost under your feet.

The disc block Pic #1 was used till at least 1975.

Finelines sells the one piece proportioning valve too. Ask for RBV002. Marcel.

Attachments

• mopar valve.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 151
  • mopar valve drum.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 149
  • # 4 mopar valve.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 178
Very informative, Thanks.
Anyway, I kept one off a car I was parting out ('86 5th ave). You can have it for $5 plus shipping if you want it. PM me your zip code and I'll get a total with shipping for you.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back