WTB a 1970 340 Block Bored to 4.125"

-

cudaracer

Reaction score
I found a 340 block that was bored rough to 4.125" and showed a leak at hot test in 2 spots near drain core plug, revealed through magnafluxing I believe.

Looking for opinions on if it's worth a few hundred $$ to purchase and fix. It was sonic tested prior to semi rough boring. Needs final finish, so does that mean I would take it to 4.130" or so? I imagine piston selection is barely there at that size.

Opinions and thoughts welcome.

Honestly I'd pass. It needs repair and pistons will be custom. A 360 block would be a better choice if budget was a consideration.

I would pass. Plenty of good 340 blocks out there and even more 360 blocks.

I have a 318 short block currently. I am struggling with the fact that everything swaps right out. A 360 block will need a 360 short, engine mounts, oil pan, flex plate, etc.

I have a 318 short block currently. I am struggling with the fact that everything swaps right out. A 360 block will need a 360 short, engine mounts, oil pan, flex plate, etc.

If you use the 340 you still need to change the mounts. The 273/318 drivers side mounts are the same and the 340/360 drivers side mounts are the same.

4.125 is WAY too far over. Unless it is an X block. I have had 3 and sonic tested 2 of them. The 2 I tested would easily go 4.125 in spite of the MP books saying it wouldn't.

Unless you can verify exactly what it is...PASS on it.

My 1972 block is at 4.1 and will go more, sonic checked. So some stock blocks can take a larger bore. But you would need to verify. To me, it would be cheaper to find a 360 short block, preferable a roller cam one.

Awesome.
What is the cast markings for an X block?

There is a big "X" cast into the block on the front of the #2 cylinder. There is also an "X" on the back of the block but I don't remeber where it is at the moment and my only "X" block is at the machine shop.

It also MUST say 318 in the casting number (damn near got into a fist fight with a liar at a swap meet trying to sell a 360 block as an X block by saying he ground and polished the X off...the dead give away he was a liar was the fact it had a 360 casting number and 360 drivers side motor mount) and have the 318 drivers side motor mount.

I would never take a 340 past 4.100 unless it was sonic checked...and then I would use some block filler. The Chryslers have RELATIVELY long cylinders and even though there may be enough wall thickness (as per chevy rules of thumb) I would want more support as the piston goes around BDC. A stroker crank would magnify the issue.

-
Back