-
Status
Not open for further replies.

gipperco

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
Hey everyone, I need to find a manual steering box from a 73-76 Dart. Not sure if the Sport box will work or not but if it will that is cool. This is for the Swinger that I am building for a track car for my wife to drive. I was going to use power steering but she says she doesn't need it so, I have that to trade or a few other things sitting around that I wont need. Let me know what you want and maybe we can work something out.

I don't have one , but I think you can use basically any A or B body manual steering box (they are interchangable) with the correct pitman arm. I bought one off of E-bay (it was from a 70 GTX) and it bolted right in my 73 dart sport. I even used the pitman arm that came on the box (it looked a bit different than the one on my original power steering unit) and its works fine.

Bob

Hey everyone, I need to find a manual steering box from a 73-76 Dart. Not sure if the Sport box will work or not but if it will that is cool. This is for the Swinger that I am building for a track car for my wife to drive. I was going to use power steering but she says she doesn't need it so, I have that to trade or a few other things sitting around that I wont need. Let me know what you want and maybe we can work something out.

73+ boxes are really hard to find, the pitman pins come from the top on 73+ and from the bottom on pre 72 boxes. I converted mine to a pre 72, just bought a manual box and pitman, idler arm, and drag links. Dont forget you need a collumn adaptor.

All steering boxes will physically bolt to all K-frames. The physical length of the boxes only differ between manual and power, therefore, steering columns only have two lengths - one for manual and one for power. Although you'll probably get a new one, the coupler block between column and box is specific for manual or power.

The compatibility problems with different boxes largely boils down to output shaft, or sector shaft size. First, there are two sector sizes, simply known as large or small sector. The large sector, just above the splines as it exits the housing, measures 1.22". The small sector measures 1.11".

All manual boxes used a small sector shaft with the exception of A bodies 73 to 76 and C-bodies and vans to 1988. The 73+ a body and big cars and vans used a large sector, presumably for added strength. It's also assumed these boxes used bearings instead of bushings.

Any manual box will work - pre or post 73. The pitman arms changed in 73 like Flyboy said, but all you need to do is get the right pitman arm. If you are converting from power, you'll need to get a new pitman anyway for the manual small sector box.

BTW, I have a manual box for $75 plus shipping. Let me know if you want it. In fact, I also have a brand new, in box, Moog pitman arm for a 73up car for the same box. $35

I have a very clean and tight steering gear box also with arm off of a 73 Dart. I moved the motor over to a Duster and already had power. Will ship to you for 115.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back