Status
Not open for further replies.

chucksrodgarage

old school rodder
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
looking for a pushbutton assy for a 62 dodge lancer. haven't pulled apart yet, but missing the neutral button, and don't see any rod to put a button on. won't know till i get it apart, but thought i would start looking now.
just bought the car, and have no history on the missing button issue.

here is a picture of a pb assembly from a 61 valiant-- very similar to yours,
I believe the mechanism is the same for all the pb-- the levers are specific to the model of the car.

Lawrence

Attachments

• . 001 (Large).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 352
my buttons are black and rectangular. i am told that the button and lever are one piece?
won't really know till i get it apart, are the buttons on yours rectangular?

the picture is for reference-- the mechanism is the same for the push button cars-- the difference is the levers -- this car had a clear style-- the levers pull out of the metal fork--. Lawrence

i found this on a valiant forum, that indicates that there is a difference between the 61, and 62 model year?

How do you remove the headlight and wiper knobs on a '62 Valiant? The Valiant instrument panel was somewhat redesigned from the 1960-61 version, for which the manual says to reach around behind the instrument panel to push a release on the headlight switch.
For the 1962 Plymouth Valiant, you stick a tiny screwdriver up into the (almost invisible) slot on the bottom of the knob, and that releases a spring clip and lets the knob slide off.
To remove the pushbutton gearshift assembly from the dashboard (which appears also to have changed from 1961): after removing the instrument panel escutcheon to gain access, pry apart the pushbuttons a little bit to find a couple of 3/8" hex huts back inside, on studs that face toward the rear of the car. Remove those hex nuts and the park lock knob from the park lever, and carefully maneuver the pushbutton assembly back, down and out of the dashboard.

still looking to buy a neutral button and lever for the 62 lancer.
Chuck
Thanks to Pat

what is your question about 61-to 62 differences?
1960-61 had a completely different dash style--
they used the same push button mechanism to operate the transmission-- the mechansim is used until 1964--
the levers are different for style-- function is the same.

your black levers will have to come from another lancer the same year-- a valiant from 62 will have ivory colored levers & might work-- they are rectangular in shape as opposed to round

pictures show the dash of a 63 valiant & a 62 valiant respectively.

Attachments

• IMG_7354.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_4647.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 274
i found the missing (n) button laying in the bottom of the dash after i got the assy. out. the reason the button fell out is that the metal fork that holds it has the bottom fork broken off. thus i am looking for a replacement shifter assy. if worse comes to worse, i could probably take it apart, and make a new shifter lever and fork, but there are a lot of parts inside that thing. i am told that they changed the shifter assy for 62, but that valiant one sure looks very similar except the front bracked.
anyways. need to know the interchangability of the shifter assy's.

looks like the 62 valiant is missing the neutral button too? seems to be a common problemwhen you "pull" on a "push" button, as in putting it in park

chuck you need to see what newmex guy wants for his push button assembly-- I bet you could swap your park brake assembly to his shifter assembly & have a decent unit ,Lawrence

i picked up a 62 unit from hyper_pak from a b body. it is different than mine, but as you said, i am hoping that my parking brake assy, and reverse light switch will bolt to it, and i'm not sure about the levers, although they seem to be in the right place. i have put the old unit back in the car for temporary. and after this last winter storm we got here, who knows when i will be working on it again.
I'M READY FOR ARIZONA.

Generally Vdart is right. The base mechanism is the same for many years with the only differences being the bolt on mounting bracket and the push buttons themselves. I have a mechanism for the '62 in fine shape if still needed. PM if interested.

i got one from a 62 b bodie, but it does carry a different part number accordibg to the book. i don't know when i'll get around to trying it in the car. . will pm you to see what you are asking for the correct one

problem solved!!!
thanks to all for the input, and valliant patrol for the 62 valliant unit. i compared the 62 a body, and the 62 b body units, and as vdart said , they are the same base unit. with the exception of the reverse light switch location and the park levers etc.
the little spring that is part of the neutral lockout lever was broken on both. i ended up making new ones of those (real fun). that must be a problem point in these shifters.
the lancer will be happy now.
thanks again to all.
Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back