WTF happened??

-

wigsplitter74

The Mopar Kid
Reaction score
So I was at the track the other weekend and ripped the perches off the housing right at the hit of the throttle, held up the whole day before but put more pinion angle in and it bit harder then ever and then crunch, perches ripped off, driveshaft got pressed up to the trans tunnel, pinion got aimed way up and I was done. Crap. So I got it all together and welded really well this time, hooked up the nitrous kit and wanted to go back yesterday. I pulled out of the shop for a test drive and when I went to 2nd gear it just locked and skidded to a stop in the middle of the road! I was very unhappy and let down after being up til 5am working on the fart box. I limped back the whole 75ft in first gear then in my driveway I stopped and tried to leave in 2nd, won't go. Tried 3rd, same thing. Any ideas what's wrong in my race prepped 904 that always felt great.

Thanks FABO and this brings this years tally up to 1 broke block, 1 exploded 727, 1 set of main bearings after a Crane gold rocker failed and let metal loose. I'm 21, exhausted, and feel like this thing is kicking my ***, oh well bet I put it back together anyway lol

You need to pull the trans, sounds like the over running clutch in the very back of the trans is toast.

It's coming out when I get other things done that don't involve that car, winter is coming. Would that have been caused by just driving and racing the car? cause there's less than 100mi on the thing. Or is it something that went due to the shock of everything breaking?

The shock of everything breaking is what screwed your trans.

Sounds like the rear sprag bit the big one. Typical with a rearend failure, it over runs and is toast.

Bill S.

Right about -6*, read the MP chassis book and learned that SS springs like -5 to -7 so I went middle of the road, before it was -4*

in a way he didn't have a major driveline failure in the way that would screw the sprag. he never broke anything that would over speed the trans. like a broke axle, driveshaft or u-joint. from my experience when the hotrod skids to a stop in 2nd gear it's the low/reverse servor that flipped and locks the trans i reverse and 2nd at the same time. the sprag is fairly easy to test. grab the driveshaft and turn it both ways, if one way is harder it's good. both ways easy it's bad. of course it needs to be disconnected from the rear end.

-
Back