WTF is wrong whid this engine

-

plymouth1937

Reaction score
I have a problem i newer had to do whid before its a 98 honda civic aerodeck 1.5,it runs grate but whid the termostate in the engine theres no heat in the cab and if I remove it iv got all the heat i need,iv flucht the hole system and the waterpump is new as the termostate,no coolent is disapering and normal pressure in the system im pulling my hair

Low Coolant
While not having enough coolant may make your engine run hotter, it can also cause your Civic to not be able to create enough heat. Is there isn’t enough line pressure, due to low coolant, then the heater core will not be able to get any coolant itself.

You can verify this by checking the coolant level by taking a peek at the overflow reservoir. The overflow reservoir will be connected to the radiator by a tube coming from the top (usually right by the radiator cap). It should have separate lines to indicate “cool hot” and “cool cold”. Some vehicles only have full hot. Never touch the radiator cap unless the vehicle is ICE COLD.

Bad Thermostat

The job of your Civic’s thermostat is to regulate the temperature of the engine. It does this by allowing water to enter the engine when it is getting hot, and by keeping coolant from entering while the vehicle warms up.

Sometimes when a thermostat goes bad, it stays stuck open. This allows the coolant to continuously enter the engine. When this happens it’ll feel like the heat is barely working, or you may notice that it’ll work if the vehicle isn’t moving, but if you get on the highway it stops working.

If the heat is blowing, but blowing cold, it has something to do with the coolant getting to the heater core, or the heater core itself.

Want to make sure all of the air is burped out of the system after working on it. As in another thread yesterday we showed a technique of drilling an 1/8" hole in the thermostat on the mopars that lets the trapped air out of the engine when filling the cooling system. Mopar Small Blocks take 4 full gallons to be completely full. Check your coolant capacity and make sure the system in completely full of coolant.

Screenshot_20220430-164813_Gallery.jpg

If your Civic has a built in temperature gauge, take a look at it and see if it is in the spot it is normally in after a bit of driving. If it looks like it is colder than normal, that’s a pretty good indication that there is something wrong with the thermostat.

Last edited:
You may want to check the manual. I had an older FIAT that you had to bleed the air out of the coolant lines to the heater. If you didn't it would not produce any heat.

I have a problem i newer had to do whid before its a 98 honda civic aerodeck 1.5,it runs grate but whid the termostate in the engine theres no heat in the cab and if I remove it iv got all the heat i need,iv flucht the hole system and the waterpump is new as the termostate,no coolent is disapering and normal pressure in the system im pulling my hair

Are you putting the thermostat in backwards? Attach some photos, please.

Here is what your thermostat should look like. It already has the small air bleed hole in it.

Has an extra plate on the bottom of this thermostat, that may be to block off your heater core port until the engine gets up to temperature, then opens up to supply engine heat to the interior.

I would put in a brand new thermostat. The one you have, the lower plate may be stuck down and not moving to let hot water to your heater core.

With the thermostat out it will freeflow warm water to your heater core.

Screenshot_20220503-203002_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20220503-203017_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20220503-203031_Firefox.jpg

Hi and thanks for all info i found the problem its a boken head gasket,took a test whid blue liquide and it turned yellow,got some work to do

-
Back