WTF...Moroso oil pickup

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
well I never anticipated this happening. got a moroso deep pan oil pickup from mancini. had set it up before engine went for machining so I could modify my pan. at this point all was good.
this is a 360/410 stroker. :burnout:
have now assembled the short block and went to fit the oil pump with the pickup screwed. all is still good until I gave the crank a turn and the f!#^ing rod bolt hits the boss on the end.:banghead:
I was going to get the miloden one but oh well. not sure if I should clearance the boss with the die grinder or get another pickup. only thing is if I clearance it will it brake sometime in the future.
any advice here please.

Attachments

• P1010588.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 163
  • P1010589.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 171
Ran into the same problem when I upgraded to the larger Hemi pickup in my 440 ci.
No problem, grabbed a propane torch and bent it to clear. After getting the clearance you need you may as I did also have to bend the pickup end so that it remains parallel with the bottom of the pan.
No worries !!!

If you have access to a good clamp you can lay a 3/8 drill bit across the area of the fitting where the bolt goes by and clearance it some.
(Easy fix without taking things apart)
You could clamp the drill bit shaft harder and harder till it creases the fitting so you don't make the wall of the fitting thinner.

Just a thought.

Keep in mind that how close it is now is without the crank spinning at 5000 R's so I think you are going to need a little more clearance than I would be willing to grind of the fitting.

composed myself and went back out to the shed and the plug weld on the boss made things look worse than it was. cleaned the weld off and only had to clearance the boss a small amount, allowing for a bit of crank deflection. will be all good now.
the windage tray is another issue, but at the end of the day i'll just leave it off and put a quart less oil in.

-
Back