wtf, went to put in a radio.... NO HARNESS!

-

rabius75

Reaction score
i went to put a radio in my car, and there is no harness, no loose wires, nothing. all i found was the antenna wire... wtf?
whats a good switched 12v lead i can use to wire my radio to? everything else i know how to do, but the main power source i cant figure out, i want it to kick on with the 'accessory' setting, so i can listen to it with the car running, or not, but i dont know which wire that is.

You can get your power right off the fuse block.There should be a fuse marked radio or maybe even off the accesory fuse.Your car should be like mine so the block should be to the left of the column under the dash.Don't remember what holds it in been a while since i had mine out. :)

Just like evil scamp said, phillips screw holds the block onto the dash.
just hook into the fused side of the radio fuse and your set.
If your hooking up an after market radio your memory and dash lamp feeds can come from the fuse block as well.

There should be a couple of "Tabs" on the back side of the fuse block that you can connect the wires to.

Cuda66 said:
There should be a couple of "Tabs" on the back side of the fuse block that you can connect the wires to.
Ya i know that my dad was talking about them as well!

which one should i use for the memory? i hooked it up to one of the fuses and it holds for a little while, but if the car is off for like, 15+ minutes, it loses memory..

sweet. now i just have to figure out which one that is.
**wishes he had a shop manual**

rabius75 said:
sweet. now i just have to figure out which one that is.
**wishes he had a shop manual**

They are usually labeled what the fuse is for. When in doubt use a test light or voltmeter.

ok, i found several that are live always, but whenever i cut my car off for more than say, a minute or two, i have to reset all of my presets...

im pretty sure, the power line has a fuse inline with it, and i remembered that the power wire was yellow, kind of weird..

The red wire is the switched (key on) power source and the yellow is the constant power source. Most after market stereos follow a standard color coding.

I was looking for the radio harness on my 73 Duster. It came w/o a radio. I got under the dash and looked and looked. I finally spotted a large "lump" in the wiring bundle. I cut it open and Shazam! There is was. They covered it up with tape at the factory. Look at your wiring and look for the "lump". I bet you it is there! :wink:

i know most follow a standard, but im telling you, im pretty sure the yellow wire is the power, i remember when i wired it up in my old car, i was like "WTF?"
i might be wrong, ill check.
i think the car HAD a radio, because there is a hole in the dash... i guess ill have to hunt a little more..

Did you look for the "lump" in the wiring harness? I'm telling you, it is there. All of the wiring harnesses have a radio plug. You just have to find it. It will be above the radio area. It will be taped over and look like wide spot in the harness. Just cut the tape and plug in your radio. It is fused and everything. OK? :roll:

-
Back