WTF with the 5 x 4 BC and getting axles?

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
I have called Randy's and Strange to get new axles for the A-body 8 3/4 I have from a 1970 Duster but they cannot make them. WTF aren't there enough mopar guys out there that still need the 5 x 4 pattern who don't want to buy a new set of wheels just for the bigger pattern on a stronger axle. Strange says their forging doesn't allow for the 5 x 4 BC. Yukon doesn't make them. Now it seems I'm left with the next more expensive option. Moser Engineeing. I know their stuff is great but $430. :scratch:

If you guys now another option for axles without going up to the 4.5 BC please let me know.

cool. that is who strange sent me too. was trying to look them up. thanks

Let us know how you make out. I was going to order a set of 15X10.5" centerlines in 4" bolt patern so I dont have to buy axles right away but if no one will make axles in 4: then I'll wait and go 4.5"

Well, I just talked to Dutchman. They can do both patterns on the very same axle for an extra $25.00. The SSBC disc conversion I have up front allows either pattern too. Now that is a deal to me in case I need to switch patterns ever. Will cost almost the same as the Moser axles.

What did they say about the drum register? it is a smaller diameter on the 4" bolt circle than the 4.5" bolt circle.

Very good question. Now I guess that would make a difference if you went to a bigger drum set with the 4.5 BC. There would have to be a small gap around the drum pilot. Could spell bad news at high speed. Solution could be a bushing around the pilot to match the larger drum? :shaking2:

I was going to stick with the stock original 10" x 1 3/4". I figure since I will have discs up front the braking percentage gained by getting bigger rear drums will not be that significant. Maybe 5%.

I am sending all my measurements to Dutchman and will bring up the 4.5" larger drum pilot hole. :scratch:

They aren't exactly interchangable as far as bolt patterns go because the axle flange is farther out on factory big bolt axles and the drum centering register is bigger. Having both patterns then is a waste of $25. I'm only keeping small bolt on one car and that's the rare one (68 GTS convertible). There is no good reason to keep it on a modified car. Also, there's nothing wrong with factory small bolt axles if the horsepower AND traction are kept moderate.

You already have the stock 5 on 4 inch set up? You must be thinking about a lot of HP and torque from the new motor ? The weak link in these axles are the wheel studs. They are very wimpy and snap off pretty easy. Otherwise unless you are drag racing I'd guess the stockers are fine.

One reason I am staying with the SBP is that I already have some nice wheels/tires and don't want to spend another grand on new wheels and tires. I've heard that it is better to go with new axles if your HP and torque are going to be greater than 350. I'm looking at more than 400 HP out of the engine I have now. If the stockers will work then I may stick with them and save some cash. If I stay with the stock axles which bearings should I use to replace the old ones. The axles I have right now are in pretty good shape.

You will be fine with the stock axles. I have used the stock axles now for two seasons of running low 11's and no breakage.

Okay. It is settled I will keep the stockers and get the studs replaced to make sure they are all RH thread. And replace the bearings.

I call BS on those saying that the SBP will not hold up.

Many I have known, as well as myself, used SBP on 11 sec.ET cars with absolutely no problems.

If you desire, you can put longer studs on the rear, otherwise you will be fine.

More than anything the primary reason to move to the larger bolt pattern is that the selection of wheels is better, and the lower ball joint is a bit larger.

But properly maintained, the SBP will work just fine.

anyone with a 5x4 bp thinking about some great looking wheels, check out
coys wheels .com. they sell their own brand plus most others. i have their
c-5 wheels ( 5x4) on my 72 demon. 17"x7" with 4 1/2" back spacing.
look fantastic. really make a diff. oh, tires size i have is 225/50/17. same o.d.
as orig. , about 1 1/4" wider. clears everything fine.
jerry

I'll check out their site if I decide ti get some custom wheels for the back. Would mostly be for the strip.

So what is the verdict. I am in the process of building a 70 swinger 340 stroker and hope to be putting out about 500 HP when I get it finished. Will the small bolt pattern support that HP and are they still available? I really would like to keep my SMB rallyes as I am planning to have a machine shop split the rims and weld in some width for a much wider rear tire as I am moving the springs in to the frame rails. Has anyone gone through this process of widening the Rallyes if so let me know how they turned out.

There are still alot of the build options that I have not decided on yet so some things are still up in the air for me, but I want to make the right choice during the build not after, thanks guys!!

for what its worth, Moser impressed me very much. They were helpful and had things perfect. I do highly recomend them and everythings still turn'n out back of the ol Duster

-RPM

Here's the verdict. Went with the stock axles since I'm not going up the 500hp range. I would go with custom axles if going with more HP. The SBP should be fine no matter

47b6ce39b3127cce8e1c5ad0518400000016100AYs27Ji3ZsmPg.jpg

-
Back