WWII veteran help

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
hey guys anybody have a lead for me or can show me a good source of information?

My great uncle went missing during WWII and this is the info I have....

My grandpa's brother, was the tail gunner or waist gunner on a B-17, went MIA. From the info my family has his bomber was shot down over the baltic sea, returning from a bombing mission in Germany in 1944.

My family never heard from him again, plane was never found.

The number on his bomber was supposedly 4238162, and He was 401 bomb group, 614th bomb sqad

His Name was
A.C. Aronson
(Arlyn Curtis Aronson)

Not sure how accurate some of this information is, just wondering if anyone can help me find out anything else at all, my grandpa would really appreciate it also.

hey guys anybody have a lead for me or can show me a good source of information?

My great uncle went missing during WWII and this is the info I have....

My grandpa's brother, was the tail gunner or waist gunner on a B-17, went MIA. From the info my family has his bomber was shot down over the baltic sea, returning from a bombing mission in Germany in 1944.

My family never heard from him again, plane was never found.

The number on his bomber was supposedly 4238162, and He was 401 bomb group, 614th bomb sqad

His Name was
A.C. Aronson
(Arlyn Curtis Aronson)

Not sure how accurate some of this information is, just wondering if anyone can help me find out anything else at all, my grandpa would really appreciate it also.

You might try here:

http://www.401bg.org/

I've done quite a bit of research on many armor vehicles, jets, helicopters, Vietnam spotter planes, etc... Let me see what I can do in the next few days with some of my connections and see what I come up with. Be patient as I have not been in touch with some of these people in quite a while and I haven't really worked something this old. But I am intrigued and want to see if I can help. My POC at the Air Force may not be there any more so we'll just have to see what I can turn up. Hope I find something for you.

i have used military.com to look up old buddies, im not sure how far back the records go though. they use department of defense records.

The B17's information is as follows;
It was built in serial number run, 42-38084 / 38213 at the Long Beach Douglas Plant, and it's official designation was B-17G-30-DL Fortress, and it was from government contract number 8870/8999.

Missing Air Crew Report 3940, (MACR) can be seen at this link; http://www.remember-our-heroes.nl/3940.htm , But it seems that Mr. Aonson was a S/SGT (SSG, Staff Sergeant today) and was the left waist gunner. I hope this helps.

I do have a contact at the Air Force archives that may have some records but that may take some time and there is no gaurantee they can turn up anything. About 8 years ago I found a crash site in the desert, researched it and found out everything about the pilot, plane, etc...

Hey guys. If I PM you with some info on my dad and uncle can I get some some more info on their service in WWII?

Ramcharger, I'll see what I can do, but I usually work on vehicles and aircraft. I have not really searched for people but one time. Found a Dog-Tag in the desert at Ft Irwin and researched it and found the remaining family. Now its on display in a WWII section of that soldiers hometown museum.

If a body was never recovered or to the point
they could not be ID'ed, the military would list
them as MIA.

Ramcharger, I'll see what I can do, but I usually work on vehicles and aircraft. I have not really searched for people but one time. Found a Dog-Tag in the desert at Ft Irwin and researched it and found the remaining family. Now its on display in a WWII section of that soldiers hometown museum.

Thanks guys. My Uncle was never recovered nor his aircraft. It was an Avenger IIRC and he went down somewhere in the New Hebrides islands. My Dad survived 3 beachheads in the Pacific Theatre to have me. :) I'll have to see if I can find specific aircraft numbers Button...

The B17's information is as follows;
It was built in serial number run, 42-38084 / 38213 at the Long Beach Douglas Plant, and it's official designation was B-17G-30-DL Fortress, and it was from government contract number 8870/8999.

Missing Air Crew Report 3940, (MACR) can be seen at this link; http://www.remember-our-heroes.nl/3940.htm , But it seems that Mr. Aonson was a S/SGT (SSG, Staff Sergeant today) and was the left waist gunner. I hope this helps.

I do have a contact at the Air Force archives that may have some records but that may take some time and there is no gaurantee they can turn up anything. About 8 years ago I found a crash site in the desert, researched it and found out everything about the pilot, plane, etc...

WOW, thank you guys so much, I had no idea there would be a desciption of the actual mission he went down on.....guess the nose was torn off the front of his bomber. Thats crazy, I know my grandpa will most definitly like to know this stuff. Thanks

I am all too glad to lend a hand. I have made contacts through various agencies however most deal with equipment and not people, but they in turn may know someone that can help. It doesn't hurt that I am currently on active duty either, it gets a little more of a response if you know what I mean.

-
Back