WWYD wiring advice.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
I'm wiring in my ignition box, coil and other things. Im not trying for the hidden wires but would like whats there to be neat and contained. I struggle with cutting them. You can see I have the coil mounted close to the box, the power wire done have far to go. Also in the photo is my 12v key on power.

Do I dare trim these wires back? Ive always hated pulling a radio to find out someone else had been there and cut the wires so damn short you cant do nothing with them. Thoughts?

Attachments

• ignition wiring3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 478
  • ignition wiring.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 467
  • ignition wiring2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 463
Well firstly, I'm not sure why you want the coil where it is, since the distributor is FEET away. I guess you've already drilled the holes? So, a little late.

But THINK about your layout, how can you run the wire, and is there any other wiring you should keep the ignition system away from?

Some of these new systems produce so much power that they can cause interference to the voltage regulator and other sensitive systems AS WELL AS THEMSELVES. That is, the spark energy can "false trigger" the system because the spark energy transfers enough into the pickup/ trigger circuit.

Don't the destructions mention this stuff?

I looked up the destructions for model 5520, don't know if this is what you have

Attachments

• streetfire.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 196
Yup it does. I mounted the coil there because I couldn't find a spot I liked on the motor itself. Also not all the wires will be used. The only wire that would be close to the VR would be the 12v input coming from the car itself. I mounted it where its at to stay away from heat and other components. I didn't figure it would hurt anything being by the starter relay. I attached the diagram for my specific application.

Attachments

• msd.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 162
So, you do not consider, the coil to cap wire? It is very important and may interfere with VR signal.

-
Back