Xxxx

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stealing is wrong no matter how you look at it ... or how badass you "need" that car to be. You go to Hell for stealing, same as lying.

At least that's the way I was raised.

I don't condone what the factory workers did, or stealing in any case, but honestly, does Chrysler still care? (no):-k

I also am no fan of stealing, or benefitting from others stealing.. I am curious though, wouldnt actively seaking out these 'lunch pail' parts with the intent to use them, in fact be condoning what those factory workers did?? As for whether or not Chrysler still cares... while they may not care much about parts that walked off the line 40 years ago, im sure they cared then.. and im sure they care about what might walk off the floor today..

Here is the song.

"One Piece At A Time"

Well, I left Kentucky back in '49
An' went to Detroit workin' on a 'sembly line
The first year they had me puttin' wheels on cadillacs

Every day I'd watch them beauties roll by
And sometimes I'd hang my head and cry
'Cause I always wanted me one that was long and black.

One day I devised myself a plan
That should be the envy of most any man
I'd sneak it out of there in a lunchbox in my hand
Now gettin' caught meant gettin' fired
But I figured I'd have it all by the time I retired
I'd have me a car worth at least a hundred grand.

[CHORUS]
I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round.

So the very next day when I punched in
With my big lunchbox and with help from my friends
I left that day with a lunch box full of gears
Now, I never considered myself a thief
GM wouldn't miss just one little piece
Especially if I strung it out over several years.

The first day I got me a fuel pump
And the next day I got me an engine and a trunk
Then I got me a transmission and all of the chrome
The little things I could get in my big lunchbox
Like nuts, an' bolts, and all four shocks
But the big stuff we snuck out in my buddy's mobile home.

Now, up to now my plan went all right
'Til we tried to put it all together one night
And that's when we noticed that something was definitely wrong.

The transmission was a '53
And the motor turned out to be a '73
And when we tried to put in the bolts all the holes were gone.

So we drilled it out so that it would fit
And with a little bit of help with an A-daptor kit
We had that engine runnin' just like a song
Now the headlight' was another sight
We had two on the left and one on the right
But when we pulled out the switch all three of 'em come on.

The back end looked kinda funny too
But we put it together and when we got thru
Well, that's when we noticed that we only had one tail-fin
About that time my wife walked out
And I could see in her eyes that she had her doubts
But she opened the door and said "Honey, take me for a spin."

So we drove up town just to get the tags
And I headed her right on down main drag
I could hear everybody laughin' for blocks around
But up there at the court house they didn't laugh
'Cause to type it up it took the whole staff
And when they got through the title weighed sixty pounds.

[CHORUS]
I got it one piece at a time
And it didn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is around.

Uh yow, Red Ryder, this is the cotton mouthIn the Psycho-Billy Cadillac come on, huh, this is the cotton mouthAnd negatory on the cost of this mow-chine there Red RyderYou might say I went right up to the factoryAnd picked it up, it's cheaper that wayUh, what model is it?

Well, it's a '49, '50, '51, '52, '53, '54, '55, '56'57, '58' 59' automobileIt's a '60, '61, '62, '63, '64, '65, '66, '67'68, '69, '70 automobile

When I seen the title of the post I thought you where restoring your
Scooby doo lunch box lol

Wouldn't that be under the statute of limitations in Michigan? I'm sure after 40 something years they don't care. They can't even get rid of their 2011 parts and the 2013 model year is on. BTW I gotta say that what I said might not have been construde in the right way. The computer went on the fritz and the message got messed up. Scout's honor.

no harm done lol i didnt take offense to it at all, i actually kind of laughed and had a 'duh' moment hahaha

Boy, this thread is getting people whipped up! In the 60's-70's MOST of the "lunch pail" parts were not intended to be stolen. Sometimes the cars had small extra parts that may have fallen in or some extra small items were given to employees to add them to the cars if they were missing while rolling down the assembly line. These parts were stuff like valve stem caps, dash knobs, small hardware and trim etc. Sometimes workers had small items in their pockets to use and forgot, when they would empty their pockets at home stuff was usually saved too. When the models or years changed boxes of this stuff was left over or piled up in tool boxes so employees just took them home instead of throwing them away. Also techs at dealerships accumulate small stuff from new cars while doing dealer prep and warranty work, always hung on to them incase another car was missing it they could dig in their stash and add it. Lunch pail parts were not Hemi engines, Hyperpack intakes, and Superbird nose cones, they were small trinket stuff that is really difficult to find now days. Stephen Juliano is the king of lunch pail items, crazy stories about how he paid $$$$$ just for the correct date coded lunch pail assmbly line valve stem extension caps for his Hemi E-body car!! These were usually removed by the dealer and changed out...therefore Impossible to find today!!

But yes, I am sure lots of stuff walked out the doors at these places.....

I worked on flight gear when I was in the Navy. One day was going home and was walking past the new guy who was taking out the trash when I seen a flight helmet in it. I asked what was up with that and was told it needed retaped and it was to big of a pain to take the old tape off so they just built up a new one. So I said I will take the trash out tonight. LOL

Jeez, 3 days of not checkin In and I miss all the good stuff,....Hows about if I take somethin out of a dumpster???

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wtf isxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx about???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back