Y3 Yellow and a foam roller

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
Needed to redo the trunk and eventually the engine bay. Spraying just isn't practical for me....so I figured I'd try foam rollers and brushes.

Used a single stage enamel mixed for 1971 Y3 yellow to match the outside of the car.

I'm pleased with it. Not show but the car isn't either. Top coated it with a POR-15 clear since it's pretty bullet proof and I actually use the trunk for carrying stuff.

Next will be the engine bay.....just wanted to share.

Brian

Attachments

• 856HH5.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 468
  • J855.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 451
  • 58551.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 473
Looks good in pictures and the texture probably wouldnt look bad in a trunk anyway.

Ya...I wouldn't wanna do it on the outside but it actually dried a lot smoother than I expected.

The trick is mix it with a slow reducer to it has more time to level out.

i sprayed this with rust o lium turned out pretty good,and the ruck is done now..it has some dust from the sanding and primer and all but will post pics of it when i down load the new 1's taped everything up really good an spray..lol your looks great ....i didnt even think about rolling it on til i read this post...mike

Attachments

• HPIM0695.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 429
Ya man, I wanna see when it's done....I hate paint work so much. Well, the prep work, which is the most important part....

i sprayed this with rust o lium turned out pretty good,and the ruck is done now..it has some dust from the sanding and primer and all but will post pics of it when i down load the new 1's taped everything up really good an spray..lol your looks great ....i didnt even think about rolling it on til i read this post...mike

One yellow car to another: You have now discovered it takes twice the yellow paint to cover than any other color.

Oddly I just painted my trunk for the second time last week. I used spray cans, masked off rubber seal and everything out side of the trunk, fuel filler & gasket, wire harness, and started spraying. It was yellow on yellow, took two cans, and dried in twenty four hours.

I suspect rolling the trunk will prove to be rather challenging due to all the nooks & crannies, and brackets.

It wasn't too bad...I also used foam brushes to get into the nooks and crannys....it did require a lot of climbing and twisting.

It was an original Yellow car so covering wasn't so bad. Even did the inside of the lid.....

You have a pic?...love seeing other peoples home jobs. Keeps me motivited.

b

One yellow car to another: You have now discovered it takes twice the yellow paint to cover than any other color.

Oddly I just painted my trunk for the second time last week. I used spray cans, masked off rubber seal and everything out side of the trunk, fuel filler & gasket, wire harness, and started spraying. It was yellow on yellow, took two cans, and dried in twenty four hours.

I suspect rolling the trunk will prove to be rather challenging due to all the nooks & crannies, and brackets.

here are the pics of my spay bomb job..lol i didnt finish the truck area yeat but did the outer edge where the weather strip go..plan to finish it 1 day this week..it matched the color pretty close i think...

Attachments

• HPIM0700.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 392
  • HPIM0701.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 378
I still have to paint filler tube, and touch up inner sound deadener on inner quarter panels. Trunk lid was painted with spray can last year after it was removed from car.

011.jpg

010.jpg

Here is finished job; masking striped off, fuel tube painted, and quarter panel sound deadening touched up with rubberized undercoating:

001.jpg

thanks been alot of work to get to that point mike

There's no end to it huh?

I've got rusty front floor pans that have been patched and POR-15 coated. Would like to change them but don't have anywhere to work on it.

Know a member on here who will do them for me but just can't pull the trigger as far as money goes.

thanks been alot of work to get to that point mike

Look closely, I had to patch my trunk as well. New patch panel for bottom of spare tire well, and several flat sections of floor welded in. Also I had to repair floor pans.

When and if I decide to fix this car properly, it will need full trunk, and floor pan replacement. But for now, it is a daily driver with a 20 foot paint job.

Every winter now that most of the mechanical bits have been renewed, and set back to like new, I have been doing little clean-up projects that take little money, but copious amounts of labor to perform. Stuff like repainting black on front grill, straighten and buffing headlight trim (sanding 220 to 2000 grit, than polish, and clear…) that takes forever to do this stuff.

The problem with this cleaning up, and refinishening is that the more one does the more one needs to do, because it makes untouched parts of the car look more crappy. It never ends. LOL

Damn dude...I don't see any patch work in your trunk...looks great.

My spare tire well just had a steel plate welded over the rusted out part so I just left it.

Would cost me close to $700 to get the floors done properly and I can't swing that. So, patch work it is.

Look closely, I had to patch my trunk as well. New patch panel for bottom of spare tire well, and several flat sections of floor welded in. Also I had to repair floor pans.

When and if I decide to fix this car properly, it will need full trunk, and floor pan replacement. But for now, it is a daily driver with a 20 foot paint job.

Every winter now that most of the mechanical bits have been renewed, and set back to like new, I have been doing little clean-up projects that take little money, but copious amounts of labor to perform. Stuff like repainting black on front grill, straighten and buffing headlight trim (sanding 220 to 2000 grit, than polish, and clear…) that takes forever to do this stuff.

The problem with this cleaning up, and refinishening is that the more one does the more one needs to do, because it makes untouched parts of the car look more crappy. It never ends. LOL

-
Back