Yay or nay?

-

QUINN FORBES

Greendemon
Reaction score
From a Fel-Pro engine gasket kit.
Any good/bad experiences using this dealie with or without?
Use or useless?

D6B0E950-CFFF-4AB1-A454-7254AC889FA1.jpeg

All it does is rub against your front cover from the back of your harmonic balancer. It's a parasitic loss. But if you're just rebuilding the stock BS motor use it.

All depends on what type of balancer you have. OEM has the "cup" for it. I dont recall seeing it on any aftermarket ones?

IMO, it's not needed for any application.
Back when most of the roads were Dusty. Or if you live in a dry dusty area. If I had a damper that accepted one I would use it and have used them whenever possible. Just extra protection from dust.

From a Fel-Pro engine gasket kit.
Any good/bad experiences using this dealie with or without?
Use or useless?

View attachment 1716067904
It was installed from the factory for a reason. It helps in protecting the seal from debris. it can also wick up any “slight” oil weepage (if the seal actually leaks it will load up and may eventually stretch out, elongate) If you have the oem balancer that has the stamped disc/shield use it. The only “nay” I’ve ever actually experienced (on a high mileage and aged 78 360) is when you have a leaking seal and that felt gets soaked so much with oil that it stretched out from spinning as to be useless.

With today's seal technology, there's no need for a felt diaper. If the seals leaking, you need to replace it. The felt isn't going to hold anything in. I only remember seeing those when pulling apart a mid 60's or earlier engine. What modern engine uses one?

With today's seal technology, there's no need for a felt diaper. If the seals leaking, you need to replace it. The felt isn't going to hold anything in. I only remember seeing those when pulling apart a mid 60's or earlier engine. What modern engine uses one?
Most modern engines are aluminum and plastic. They are now built to throw away.

Years ago the cars were made to last. Do you think today's cars will be around in 50 years. My 2005 is almost already rusted beyond repair

The newer covers were less material Cheaper to make. The seals could be easily replaced for the same labor cost as the older cover so more money to make. No felt more repairs for more failures.

The way I see it They discontinued the felt for monetary reasons. Had nothing to do with making better seals. had everything to do with money. Front seal was always the same part number.

Never used one. The cup i tear off.lol Its an oil sponge for a weepy seal..as said . Throw it in the fire pit.

-
Back