Yeah,well, Avenger begins with an "A"....

-

redlined

Reaction score
Have a line on a decent '97 Avenger with a Mitsu 2.5 V6 for cheap. Run around town car for the wife.

Anybody have any experience with/owned that motor? I've seen 3.0's puffing blue smoke, because of valve guide issues from what I'm told. Any troubles with the 2.5?

Bought a 96 cheap, some gal ran it into high water and bent a rod. I put another used 2.5 in it and drove it a while. Mid to high 20's for mileage and it ran OK.

My son bought one for his first car in 2008 from a caring owner 3 years ago with 99,000 miles on it and she just put a timing belt and new tires on it... She bought it new and even though the paint went away, she took very good care of it... The V/6 2.5 along with the car has been flawless and now has around 120,000 on it... The only complant that my son has about the car is that the car doesn't turn around like my shadow that he learned to drive on... Lots dependes on who has owned the car and what kind of care it received from that owner... Keep oil in it and never get it hot and they will last... John(onecatnodog)

Bought a new 97 Avenger with the 2.5 v6. We put 130,000 trouble free miles on it. The only reason we got rid of it I just had too many vehicles (5 registered, 2 drivers). With gas prices the way they are I wish I had it back, it got 25/26 mpg around town and 30/31 on the hiway.

It was a smooth riding car with decent handling but was lacking in the get up and go department compared to the other cars I had and was the reason that it was the one chosen to sell.

Thanks fellers. Going to look at this weekend, it's about an hour from here, see if I can haggle him down some more. Half the fun of car buying is the arguing about it.........

-
Back