Yellow 69 Cuda 440 in Lafayette Indiana in the 90s?

-

rc_brooks

Reaction score
I know it's a wild question, but in the mid 90s (97 I think for the time of this inquiry) I was in college at Purdue. I was driving a 74 Cuda (before I realized how few there were... ended up selling it for $400 to keep a roof over my head and books in my hands. Believe it or not I had it for sale for $1000 for 6 months before I finally gave in to someone who offered $400.. still makes me sick.) at the time. Anyhow I saw a faded yellow 69 notch back at a construction site at the Walmart in West Lafayette. It had a dent in one fender and couple spots of primer. As I drove by it I noticed it said "Cuda 440". I assumed it was someone's home brew custom having never heard of an A body actually bearing the "Cuda" name let alone a 440. It wouldn't be till 2003 when I had joined the Barracuda Owner Club after I bought my 68 that I heard about M Codes. I'm not "looking" for it, just curious if the owner might be on the forum. I saw it every other day for a few weeks but never saw it after that. I assume the owner was a tradesman of some fashion. That car stuck in my head immediately even though my passion at the time was e bodies. While I ended up getting a fastback, that M code is kind of like a unicorn in my mind.

Nice to hear of a 440 'cuda notch sighting back in the '90s !!! I run the only '69 440 'cuda registry and will look thru my records for a yellow notch in that area!!!! I have over 100 cars in the registry and several notches.............

Thanks! It was pretty tough looking with the scoops and definitely caught my attention even though I had e body fever back then. I never did own a 71, which was the car I desired since I saw it in Car Craft as a wee lad in the 80s ahaha (I'll be 40 this year). Kind of like the 74, I didn't realize just what the car was. I certainly would have made more of an effort to talk to the guy.

Nice to hear of a 440 'cuda notch sighting back in the '90s !!! I run the only '69 440 'cuda registry and will look thru my records for a yellow notch in that area!!!! I have over 100 cars in the registry and several notches.............

I knew a guy around here in the early 80's that had an original 68 Dart GSS with 45 k original miles that was yellow. That's not a typo, it was a GSS, not GTS... An original Mr. Norm car... He walked me through how Mr. Norm converted the GTS into a GSS when I first saw his car.

His nephew used to cruise Dukes Drive In on the south side here with an original green 69 Barracuda fastback M-code 440 car.

I remember his uncle telling me that it had headers on it. Every time his nephew pulled the engine to work on it, he would always buy a new starter and install it because the headers were so tight with the 440 in there, that it would cook the starters from all the heat and they would burn them out often. So it was more convenient to change the starter every time the engine was out than to try installing the starter with everything in the engine compartment... They were only $30 -$35 for a starter then...

I've lost track of them after going away for school and work...

Do you have any listings for a Green 69 fastback near Chicago???

-
Back