Yellow Optima battery question

-

max512wedge

Reaction score
I just went out to start the old duster and the yellow top optima battery would turn over just a little and then started the dreaded clicking. We have a beautiful day here in the 70’s so I was wanting to go for a ride. So can I use the harbor freight Cen-tech jump starter on this battery to start it up. So I can take her for a little ride today instead of having to charge it. Thanks

I've seen more than one optima burst into flames if it's given too much current. Jump starting them can often deliver excess current as the alternator maxes out once it's fired off. Might not happen at idle in a classic car, but once you give it some revs it might get dicey.
Trickle charging to a nominal voltage is the safest bet, but I've heard from others that they've never had an issue with jump starting an optima either. I personally watched one in a hyudai santa fe melt in on itself and catch fire when it was jumped in the autozone parking lot, and have seen 2-3 that were placed on fast chargers in an auto parts store that did the same.
If you decide to jump it, be ready to key it off if anything starts to smell bad or smoke, and I wouldn't wait for a bad smell to turn into smoke.

Edit to add: if it was alive enough to crank before it started to click, it's probably OK to jump. The catastrophic ones I witnessed were super deeply discharged.

Dummy me would have jumped with nary a worry.
Note to self, forget buying an Optima.
Are almond trees still in bloom ?

-
Back